[EM] A horrible thing we need to crush: Fusion Voting

RLSuter at aol.com RLSuter at aol.com
Mon Sep 4 15:02:56 PDT 2006

Fusion voting was a key part of the strategy of the New Party, which
was formed in 1992 and was active for about six years. The party went
into decline after the Supreme Court ruled in 1997 that states are not
required to permit fusion voting. One of the founders of the New Party
and its former executive director, Dan Cantor, is now executive director
of the Working Families Party, which was started in New York in 1998,
partly to take advantage of the fact that New York is one of the few
states that still permits fusion voting.

It would be a waste of time and resources to try to "crush" fusion
voting, since the Supreme Court has already pretty much done that.
At the same time, fusion voting is at worst harmless and has at least
some minor advantages for some third parties. In fact, the WFP has
been probably the most successful third party in recent U.S. history,
and it probably would not have done nearly as well as it has -- indeed,
probably wouldn't even exist -- had it not been able to take advantage
of fusion voting in New York.

For more information, see the Wikipedia entries on the New Party
and the Working Families Party as well as the websites for both of
them. The New Party has continued to maintain a website even though
it is pretty much defunct.

Also, see the Wikipedia entry for one of the most influential advocates
of fusion voting and one of the New Party's founders, Joel Rogers, who
is a professor at the University of Wisconsin. You might want to contact
Rogers and try to get into a discussion with him about fusion voting and
alternatives that you think would be far better. If you tell him you are
an active participant on the EM list and have a special interest in voting
methods, I think there's a good chance he would reply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Party_(USA)
http://www.newparty.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_Families_Party
http://www.workingfamiliesparty.org/