[EM] Ranked Preferences, example calculations

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 30 15:13:26 PST 2006

A general comment on this discussion thread.

I think what we would need here is few more well defined concepts to
help us defining what we mean. The first term I'd like to see defined
is a concept that I might call competitiveness. I have seen different
people using different terms when referring to this or related concepts.

Competitive election is an election where voters do their best to
make their side win. A non-competitive election is one where voters
are just happy to express their opinions and then see who won (and be
happy with whatever the result, with no interest to influence the
outcome more than what they did when giving their genuine opinion).

One example from real life, asking some questions from a voter before
the US presidential elections.
Q: Which of the candidates would be the best  president?