[EM] Ranked Preferences, example calculations

Jonathan Lundell jlundell at pobox.com
Sat Oct 28 10:05:09 PDT 2006

At 10:57 PM -0400 10/27/06, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
>This is simply a guess, and is probably a bad one. Insincere voting
>damages the utility of the election *for those who vote insincerely.*
>They risk achieving a poor outcome. Essentially, they are taking an
>intelligent process and attempting to confuse it with lies.

I disagree.

They're taking a process as defined (whether it's intelligent doesn't
enter into it) and attempting to maximize the outcome, from their
point of view.

They may make a bad job of it--their strategizing may be less than
optimum, and their information is less, perhaps much less, than
perfect--but they're acting, at root, rationally.

I take the term "insincere" as a metaphor, not a value judgement.

I attach more weight to criteria that encourage sincere voting than
to criteria that presuppose sincere voting while encouraging
insincere voting, however desirable they are once that presupposition
is granted. Obviously not everybody agrees with me....
--
/Jonathan Lundell.