[EM] Ranked Preferences, example calculations

Chris Benham chrisjbenham at optusnet.com.au
Fri Oct 27 20:34:07 PDT 2006

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

>That is, healthy group decision process follows certain general
>principles. The Majority Criterion neglects an important part of this.

That is because it is about *elections*, which of course isn't
necessarily the beginning and end
of  "healthy group decision process".

>That is, if the majority does not want to please the minority, it
>does not care if they are devastated by the outcome of the election,
>if their attitude is "they should get over it," then they can easily
>get what they want. Just vote it as a strong preference.

The problem with Range is that if  "the majority" are not self-aware and
coordinated, they cannot
"easily get what they want".

> But they
>should remember what happened to the one who said "Let them eat cake."
>
>She lost her head. As did many others.

Marie Antoinette and others who were beheaded in the aftermath of the
French Revolution
were a tiny minority.

>Systems which do not maximize and spread satisfaction lead to
>revolutions or civil war.

Are you talking about election systems or class systems?

>And thus, respecting the majority principle, I've suggested that the
>election of a Range winner over a Preference winner should be
>ratified by the electorate, either by a pure ratification vote or by a runoff.

So what exact method do you propose be used to determine "the preference
winner"?

Chris  Benham