[EM] Majority Criterion poor standard for elections

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 26 13:36:11 PDT 2006

On Oct 26, 2006, at 5:21 , Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
>> I at least made a try few mails back on the list with "Ranked
>> Preferences".
>
> Tried what? To satisfy the Majority Criterion while allowing
> preference strength to influence the outcome?

Yes.

> I don't think it is possible.

I think it is. Not in the Range style but maybe if one treats the
strength of preferences in a different way (and doesn't allow them to
influence in "wrong" places).

> However, I found the description of "Ranked Preferences" to be
> incomprehensible. It's *complicated*.

I agree that it is complicated. Please point out if there are some
specific details that I didn't explain properly. The overall
complexity can not be helped (except by dropping some of the rules
like tied at top). Better description styles could be possible.

> I suspect that there might be a way of expressing it which is much
> simpler, or maybe not. If not, forget about it. If I can't figure
> it out with a few minutes of focused attention, the public will
> *never* go for it.

I agree that most of the public will not bother to dive inside the
voting method to see how it works. That is the same for many voting
methods. They may however trust if the experts say that the method
works ok. The voting process is however relatively simple and
understandable. Just put the candidates (or the best of them) in
preference order and add strengths to the preferences if you feel
like that (basic (flat preference) ranked votes work also fine).

>> Votes 55: A>B>>C, 45: B>>A>C elect A (the
>> majority favourite) although the B supporters strongly disliked her.
>
> Let's express this in Range terms to see what it might mean.
>
> I'll assume that there are three candidates total, A, B, and C.
> What has been expressed above could simply be represented by
> assuming that there are four ranks. A preference gap of two ranks
> is expressed by ">>". So the range ratings (Range 0-3) are:
>
> 55: A:3 B:2 C:0
> 45: A:1 B:3 C:0

Yes. Good mapping to Range.

> Hey, why did C even bother to run?

Just to help me in showing that there were more than one strength of
preferences in each ballot (">", ">>").

> Anyway, this election, as stated, comes out to be (totals)
>
> A: 3 * 55 + 45 = 210
> B: 2 * 55 + 3 * 45 = 245
>
> B wins.

Yes. And the possible voter strategy (approval style maximised
preferences) associated with this Range feature is one key reason to
why I started looking for an alternative method that would be capable
of expressing the strength of preferences but still allow voters to
vote sincerely even in contentious elections (without fearing that
some strategists will "spoil" the election results).

> B wins even more handily if the >> represents a greater gap.

In the Ranked Preferences method the difference between the
preference strengths is actually quite big. It is close to the 55
voters saying: "Do all you can to elect A or B. If it is certain that
either A or B will win, then I want to say that I like A more than B."

>> Strong votes however have power in other circumstances since votes
>> 40: A>>C>B, 40: B>>C>A, 20: C don't elect the Condorcet winner C
>> since A and B supporters strongly dislike her. Social utility is
>> maybe not yet maximized but maybe improved??

> Badly polarized vote patterns often create weird results.

The intention was not to create weird results. One could claim that
electing C (with a regular Condorcet method or with Ranked
Preferences) would be weird since now (with the help of the
preference strengths given in the ballots) we know that C was
strongly disliked by 80% of the voters. Regular (flat preference)
Condorcet is thus not the optimal method if you know also the
(sincere!) preference strengths in addition to the ranking.

> I'd suggest coming up with a clearer explanation, with calculation
> examples of the proposed method.

The explanation part I already discussed above. I'll send the
calculation process of these two examples in a follow-up mail. See
also the one example calculation that I posted right after the
description of the method.

> Yet it is quite clear that it is necessary to consider preference
> strength to get optimal election results

Ok, let's continue our studies.

Juho Laatu