[EM] Unicameral single-member + PR in Germany

Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 16 16:42:22 PDT 2006

I understand very well.
Your system is fully proportional (to the integer limit that forbids having
fraction of representatives)
and it uses single-member district in the sense that each party would present
only one representative
per seat. It is even a single-winner method because each district produces one
and only one winner.
The only difference is that it is not necessarily the person with most votes
that would be declared winner,
because the process would select all the winners to maximize the total
approbation rate under both constraints:
1 winnner per district and full PR to the integral limit.

What I dislike about your system is the fact that it maintains some
discrimation between candidates running for
the same party: the one that run in a district where their party has a strong
support will grab the seats of their
party. Why bother having an election, when most of the results comes from the
''investiture'' (sorry I do not know the english word: the candidate selection
process) and only ambivalent districts represent a real choice...

Not that FPTP already has this problem. STV solves it by allowing candidates
of a same party to be adversaries at some level, as SPPA does...
SPPA considers districts as non-geographic samples that are equivallent in
terms of popular will. The only bias that modulates results from one district
to another are the personalities of the candidates.