[EM] nasty new attack on Rivest 3ballot & similar schemes

Ka-Ping Yee election-methods at zesty.ca
Fri Oct 6 13:35:08 PDT 2006

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006, Warren Smith wrote:
> Nasty new attack on Rivest 3ballot scheme and similar schemes:
[...]
> 4. Republican party corrupt bigwigs like DeLay
> arrange with the govt election office
[...]
> to alter all those against-Bush votes to "for Bush"
> and to alter all those "for Clinton" votes to "against" -
> and then BURNS its receipt collection

I don't understand why this is a flaw in the scheme.  This is just
plain election fraud -- the scheme intends to provide you a receipt
so you can check on one of the ballots.  If you give away the receipt,
you're giving away the security of that particular ballot.

This sounds a bit like arguing that cars with airbags are poorly
designed because, if you take out the airbags, they won't protect
you in an accident.

-- ?!ng