[EM] 3ballot - revolutionary new protocol for secure secret ballot elections

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sun Oct 1 19:37:40 PDT 2006

At 08:49 PM 10/1/2006, Ka-Ping Yee wrote:
>I'm talking about "marking the ballot" by filling in bubbles, not
>by scribbling on it.  There may be enough down-ballot contests in
>many elections (at least in the U. S.) that the vote-buyer could
>instruct a voter to create a distinct pattern of filled bubbles in
>down-ballot contests.

(1) complex. people who sell their votes are ... not the brightest
bulbs in the pack. After all, the vote buyers obviously believe that
the votes are worth more than they are paying! (enough more to be
worth the legal risk). Vote-buying may shift close elections; but,
frankly, I think it is rare. Very rare. Except of course, for the
most blatant vote-buying of all: "Vote for me, I'll cut your taxes."
or the alternate: "Vote for me, I'll increase social benefits." Or,
of course, both at the same time, which seems to be what most
politicians aim at.

(2) not all that easy. Yes, a vote-buyer could design some
distinctive pattern, or even a few of them. But this would allow the
buyer to only validate a few votes. Presumably the buyer is buying
more than a few votes. So how does the buyer know which votes came
from the seller? Designing a pattern that can be varied sufficiently
to identify a large number of voters would take a *lot* of
contests.... And, of course, unless the vote-buyer were only
interested in a single contest, all that variation would have
undesired results.