[EM] 3ballot - revolutionary new protocol for secure secret ballot elections

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sun Oct 1 19:07:53 PDT 2006

At 12:54 PM 10/1/2006, Brian Olson wrote:
>The down side is the strategy arguments about casting an honest ballot vs
>casting a ballot more likely to get you some of what you want. Straight
>ratings does not promote honest voting, but instead promotes saturating
>your ballot to the min and max of whatever scale you're using. There's
>loss of information there, and it doesn't then find the best
>winner and maximize social utility.

This is a common argument, and quite misleading. It is based on
conflating two concepts that really don't belong together.

If a voter fails to vote, for at least one candidate, the maximum
rating, and for at least one candidate, the minimum rating (which
might be a blank, depending on the details of the implementation),
the voter has essentially cast a weak vote. The easiest way to see
this is to consider that the voter has one vote to cast. Standard
voting methods allow the voter to cast a full vote or a no vote,
nothing in between. Range allows a range of votes to be cast, and,
while they may be cast as ratings, say from 0 to 9, they are actually
quite equivalent to fractional votes, in the range of 0 to 1. (For
Range 10, i.e., 0 to 9, one divides the range vote by 9 to get the
fractional vote.)

This truth is then extended beyond its proper application to assume
that voters, to not cast weak votes, should vote for *all* candidates
0 or 1. Essentially, this reduces to Approval Voting. Not a bad idea,
actually, but not as fine-grained as Range supporters want to see.

If voters do this, that is, make black and white decisions, *they*
have chosen to remove the more detailed information that would be
expressed if they placed some candidates in the middle. Now, Mr.
Olson assumes that there is some strategic advantage in voting black
and white, that somehow voters will be encouraged to do this.

Actually, there is no strategic advantage to voting the extremes for
all candidates. The most you can contribute to the victory of a
candidate is one vote. You do this for the candidate you most wish to
win. If you devalue all other candidates, giving them no votes, you
must believe that they are all equally poor choices, and you must not
have any preference between them. If you do, you have shot yourself
in the foot by failing to rank them appropriately.

Yes, you reduce the possibility of your favorite winning if you give
other than a zero vote to all other candidates. But you gain the
possibility of improving the election outcome in case your favorite
does not win.

Warren's research indicates that people will vote honestly. While his
research was limited, to be sure, and I think he draws conclusions
from it that are perhaps unwarranted, his thesis is nevertheless
quite reasonable, that people will not bullet-vote. I believe that
Range Voting actually can be shown, though I'd leave it to Warren, to
reward honest voting by producing optimal election outcomes.

To review, Mr. Olson wrote this:

>The down side is the strategy arguments about casting an honest ballot vs
>casting a ballot more likely to get you some of what you want. Straight
>ratings does not promote honest voting, but instead promotes saturating
>your ballot to the min and max of whatever scale you're using.

In Range, contrary to what Mr. Olson implies, casting an honest
ballot is the procedure most "likely to get you some of what you
want." The only caveat is that voters should understand that they
devalue their vote if they fail to give one of the candidates, at
least, a zero, and one of the candidates a full vote. If they want to
do that, fine. It is a partial or complete abstention. Most won't
want this, I think.