[EM] 3ballot - revolutionary new protocol for secure secret ballot elections

raphfrk at netscape.net raphfrk at netscape.net
Sun Oct 1 04:42:12 PDT 2006

 Warren D Smith

> --Australia makes rank ordering all candidates on all races,

> compulsory for every voter

> (and voting also is compulsory).  So it can be done.In fairness, the Australian system is not very fair. It basically
 collapses to the closed party list system as people are given
 a choice. Make one mark for the party list or make 50+ for
 indicating their preferences directly. Now, if they had it
 so that you could mark 2-3 ranks directly and then pick
 a party list, that would be better.

 ---

 On the system itself:

 I had another thought of how to do the 3-ballot for plurality. The
 3 ballots are placed in a machine. At each choice there is a slider
 that can be in one of 3 places. This slider can be placed so it covers
 one candidate's name on one of the 3 ballots.

 There is a second slider "layer" that can be used to cover any name on
 any one of the ballots.

 Something like:

 +---+ +---+  +---+ +---+
 | 1 | | 1 | | 2 | | 3 |
 | | | |  | | | |
 | A | | A |  | A | |XXXXXXXXX
 | | | |  | | | |
 | B | | B |  |XXXXXXXXX | C |
 | | | |  | | | |
 |YYYYYYYYY--+ | C | |XXXXXXXXX
 | | | |  | | | | |
 +---+ +---+  | +---+ +---+

 (handle)

 The sliders would be behind glass. There would be 3 vote slots and 1
 receipt slot. The voter would place 1 ballot in each of the vote slots
 and the receipt slot. (for added security, it might be worth having 3
 receipt slots)

 The voter would be told to set the XXXX handles at random. This
 ensures that there is one vote cast for each candidate. The XXXX
 handles can only move horizontally.

 The YYYYY handle can move up and down and left and right. The
 voter would be told to cover one of the uncovered slots for the
 candidate they want to vote for.

 After that is done, they press a button. Assuming that the handles
 are in "locked" positions, this applies ink to the ballots. The sliders
 prevent parts of each of the ballots being marked. Also, the sliders
 cover the receipt that is in the slot next to ballot that is being copied.
 This automatically means that the ballot and receipt matches.

 This seems to make it as simple to use as possible. "Set the
 horizontal sliders at random and cover the name of the
 candidate you support with the vertical handle".

 The only slight thing is that a mark is not counted as a +1
 vote. Leaving the ballot blank is what counts as a +1 vote.
 A mark is the 0 vote.

 There would also need to be something similar for handling
 the numbering of the receipt. Maybe the voter can pick their
 own ID numbers in the same way. Also, they should
 probably be provided with a die as people aren't that good
 at picking random numbers.

 Obviously, the voters would be told to leave the handles
 in the "default" state when finished with them.

  Raphfrk
 Interesting site
 "what if anyone could modify the laws"

 www.wikocracy.com