[EM] why 0-99 in range voting

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 22 22:00:23 PST 2006

I see two levels of decision making here. If one can maintain the
sincere nature of Range poll and find a winner with the three rules,
then maybe all think the best winner was found. Majority could be
used as the second tier of decision making if the first method is not
able to find a winner. Also a second try with the first method after
a discussion could be useful in some settings before going to the
majority decision making. Majority is in some sense a dictatorship of
a majority against the minority, so finding a more consensus like
winner using the first method could be good for the community. One
could call decisions made with the first method consensus decisions
and the latter ones maybe forced decisions to highlight the
difference. This difference could also make the position of the
candidate/proposal that won stronger or weaker in the eyes of the
community.

Juho Laatu