[EM] why 0-99 in range voting

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Wed Nov 22 13:48:53 PST 2006

> RLSuter at aol.com> Sent: 22 November 2006 19:52
> In a message dated 11/22/06 12:11:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> abd at lomaxdesign.com writes:
>
> << In meetings, voting on multiple-answer questions is rare. >>
>
> Yes, but why? Because very, very few people -- probably
> less than 1% of U.S. citizens, are familiar with voting
> methods that can handle such questions in satisfactory
> ways.

But maybe there is a simpler and more "natural" answer.  When we have
the opportunity, i.e. in a face-to-face meeting, we reframe the
questions to avoid having to give such complicated answers.  So we can
break the multiple-choice down into a short sequence of "A or B"
questions, each decided by a majority vote.  (In my view, and in my
experience, that is a much better approach to what, at first sight, can
appear to be a multi-preference question.)  We also see a similar
approach in the rules for dealing with multiple amendments to the same
motion.

James Gilmour