[EM] RE : Naive question about Range Voting -- why 0-99 and not 0-100?

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue Nov 21 13:14:42 PST 2006

At 03:34 PM 11/21/2006, Monkey Puzzle wrote:
>There is one excellent reason to have either 0-99 or 0-100.  A range
>voting ballot can be interpreted as
>
>     Range Voting
>     Approval
>     Condorcet (Schulze, DMC, CWA, etc.)
>     ER-IRV.
>
>If a range voting ballot is used, I think all of these tabulations
>should be made.  I think it would be eye opening for voters and
>politicians to see just what the alternatives would be, and not get
>locked into a single method.

Sure. However, this is not particularly an argument for increasing
granularity beyond meaning. Using granularity just to express
preference below the digitization level is a waste of resources, if
the level is, say, 0-10.

Generally preference means the most with *first* preference. And you
can answer this problem with a Favorite designation. This would not
give you the option of indicating preference between two candidates
that you rate at 5, both of them, but so what?

Condorcet methods can generally handle equal ratings. They are simple
pairwise abstentions in the races between those with equal ratings,
with expression of preference in all other pairwise races. Not a
problem. It is, essentially, approval voting at a particular level of
preference.

But first preference is another matter. As I've mentioned, the
campaign funding issue is going to have to be faced! And a Favorite
designation handles that.