[EM] Range Voting strategy

David Cary dcarysysb at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 14 09:36:54 PST 2006

There are several elements of the Beaumont poll that bias it away
from real-world behavior.

1.  The poll was a poll, not an election.  There were no consequences
to the answers, hence no incentive to answer tactically.
2.  The poll asks for an indication of preferences, not a vote.
3.  The poll incompletely, arguably to the point of being inaccurate,
describes how to maximize the effect of a ballot.
4.  The poll presented people with an unfamiliar voting method and
required them to respond in an ad hoc manner.  Respondents had little
time or incentive to consider what the possible tactics might be,
what the risks and benefits of various tactics might be, or which
tactics might be useful.
5.  There was no opportunity for seeking or receiving outside advice
about how to use tactics.
6.  There was no information available to respondents about what the
likely range-voting specific behavior of other voters in that
election might be.  For example, there was nothing equivalent to
polling results about who the range-voting front-runners were and by
what margins.

In general, these deviations from real-world election behavior all
tend to bias the results towards non-tactical responses.  The 2004
Presidential poll suffers from similar deviations and bias.  (It gave
the following scoring instructions: 100=“great,” 0=“terrible,”
50=“middling.”)

Also, I'll note that neither poll was an exit poll in the usual
sense.  It was not asking people how they had just voted.  As such,
it would be unfair to attribute to this poll the accuracy normally
associated with exit polls.

I'd suggest that there are a number of factors that would influence
the extent and severity of tactical voting in the "real world".
Those factors vary depending on the circumstances of the election.
That is true of any type of voting, not just range voting.  Claims
that there would always be some single extent and severity of
tactical voting are overly simplistic.

-- David Cary