[EM] Range Voting strategy

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 13 13:26:46 PST 2006

On Nov 13, 2006, at 22:51 , Warren Smith wrote:

>> Laatu:
> You used the same word "poll" that I used. People obviously 1) didn't
> have any major reason to try to force the results in any direction
> and 2) probably were not told and did not understand the strategic
> possibilities of Range Voting. People may also typically want to
> answer sincerely in opinion polls.
>
> --actually, anyone examining
> http://rangevoting.org/Beaumont.html
> would see that right up front voters are instructed
> "To maximize the effect of your ballot, start by giving your
> favorite candidate a 10, and your least
> favorite a 0, and scoring the rest relative to that."

I'd call this normalizing or maximizing the scale, not maximizing in
the Approval sense. I'd understand the sentence so that I'm supposed
to give mostly points between 10 and 0.

> Also, my old 2004 exit poll said right ontop of its ballot also
> "Please vote the way you actually would if the real election were
> being held using range voting"

Also here I'd feel like I'm asked to vote in the "Range style". The
word "real" could make me get the point and vote strategically but I
guess most voters are not familiar enough with the method to right
away find their strategic opportunities. And even if they did, maybe
they would still vote "as they are expected to vote" in Range voting.

> but this was evidently not felt to be explicitly meeting Laatu's
> criticism enough, which is
> exactly why Clay Shentrup's ballots in 2006 went further as I just
> said.
>
> Also, exit polls are normally regarded as the most accurate kind of
> poll
> since they are of real voters who just voted.
>
> So in conclusion:
> (a) cease these guesses and aspersions and actually read the ballots
> (b) Yes, I am willing to believe real elections would induce more
> approval-style range voting
> than polls, but a poll result this enormous and massive (80%, 97%)
> is NOT, I put
> it to you, likely to swing to over 90% the other way like Laatu
> seems to think it
> will.  I challenge Laatu to cite any poll on any occasion in the
> entire history
> of the world, where such a massive inversion happened.

Yes, we could forget the guesses and arrange a real election. Maybe
we should arrange an election on what is the best voting method for
US presidential elections. Candidates are Range, Approval, Condorcet
and Plurality. The used voting method is Range (0..99). This is an
election that is quite competitive and voters are aware of the
strategies. How would you vote? My vote is hidden several lines below
so you can cast your vote before checking what I voted.

Fill your Range values here:
Range=    , Approval=    , Condorcet=    , Plurality=

How would you btw advice the other Range advocates to vote?

Juho Laatu