[EM] Range Voting strategy

Warren Smith wds at math.temple.edu
Mon Nov 13 10:13:43 PST 2006

>Juho Laatu:
I think Range Voting is quite ok for opinion polls and corresponding
fully non-contentious elections (e.g. www.imdb.com), but as soon as
there is an element of competition Approval style voting is the
likely outcome.

--the exit poll we made of the 2004 US Presidential election, showed
only about 20% of voters going with approval-style range votes.

Clay Shentrup just made another exit poll for the 2006 TX governor election,
http://rangevoting.org/Beaumont.html
and the approval-style votes received were even rarer.

So Juho Laatu is massively wrong based on this evidence.
His defense will doubtless be, no matter how many thousands of exits
polls and pollees we do, that any exit poll is not the real thing, i.e.
does not actually affect the election, and therefore, magically, if we suddenly made
it real, everybody's behavior would massively change.

Of course, I have no way to refute that until or unless range voting is
actually adopted.   However, these exit poll results are extremely  clear, large,
and undebatable as such.

Warren D Smith
http://rangevoting.org   <-- add your endorsement