[EM] RE : Re: Range voting zero-info strategy simulation

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Sat Nov 11 06:31:17 PST 2006

Forest,

--- "Simmons, Forest" <simmonfo at up.edu> a écrit :
> In the zero information case (with many voters), "above mean utility
> approval strategy"  (Strategy E in Kevin's simulation) is optimal for
> maximinzing an individual voters expected utility.

In my simulation it's strategy D actually.

> However, that's not what Kevin is using as a measure of success.  If I
> understand him correctly, a vote is successful if it (positively) breaks
> a tie.  The optimal zero info strategy for this measure of success is
> "above median utility approval," which Kevin did not include in his
> simulation.

I had written this:

"For each strategy, I list the average improvement
that this voter achieved (from his own perspective) due to his vote. This
is of course measured in points, so that a result of 1 means that on
average, this voter's ballot caused the election of a candidate considered
1 point better than the candidate who won before this voter was counted."

I actually didn't count how many times the vote was pivotal.

Kevin Venzke