[EM] Range voting fails IIA

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Nov 8 17:44:39 PST 2006

At 05:20 PM 11/8/2006, David Cary wrote:

>--- Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <abd at lomaxdesign.com> wrote:
> > Election criteria are supposed to be objective. [...]

Mr. Cary, in this post, gives the best argument -- by far -- I have
seen for considering that Approval Voting does not satisify the
Majority Criterion.

In spite of my having said, a few minutes ago, that my argument
appeared airtight.

What Mr. Cary's argument really points out, however, is that
evaluation of election methods by election criteria can require the
consideration of hidden information, posited for the purpose of
consideration and given as initial conditions, and that this is
accepted in the election methods community. Fair enough.

However, if we say that Approval does not satisfy the Majority
Criterion, we should be aware that this statement will, in any actual
struggle to implement Approval, be raised as an argument, and it will
be raised in a context which does not consider the subtleties. It
will be raised in a context where the criterion will appear to be one
of the most basic necessities in elections. And thus Approval will
face, unfairly I think, more difficulty in seeing the light of day.

Real election methods in the real world do not consider the mental
state of the voter. They either do or do not allow the voter to take
a certain action, i.e., to express a preference, in this case a
"strict preference."

That expressing a "strict preference" under the method is undesirable
to the voter for other reasons is not relevant in an objective
consideration of the method.

So I still think that my argument, on the face of it, is correct.

Mr. Cary points out, however, that Wikipedia is defective in how it
explains the Majority Criterion. I'm sure that he is correct. The
same deficiency, however, would exist in the Election Methods
wiki.... and the proper remedy would be to correct the wikis, if one
really thinks they are wrong. Correcting a wiki, and having it stay
corrected, requires the development, usually, of some kind of consensus.

Do we have the right to unilaterally determine exactly how the
Criteria are to be used? I think I have pointed out how the literal
language of the Criterion, in all formulations, can be interpreted to
permit Approval to satisfy the Majority Criterion.

So, at the least, the whole matter of election criteria and how they
are to be applied is far more complex than is commonly assumed.

>In an important sense, the involvement of voter mental preferences does
>not make the criteria any less objective.

Yes, if the assumptions are made explicit.

>   The criteria are not required
>to function as empirical criteria.  They can work quite well as
>theoretical criteria.

And, again, the public is not going to be terribly interested in
theoretical criteria, but in what actually affects the outcome of elections.

I've run into this problem of differences between technical criteria
and public perception and interest before. The terms "racism" and
"racist" have technical, academic definitions that are quite
different in application from the popular perception. The academic
definition of "racism" is a belief in the reality of race as an
objective entity. And thus certain people are technically "racist,"
including a lot of people who first encounter this definition and
immediately respond, "but of course it is! It's obvious!"

But the popular usage carries connotations of hatred and racial
chauvinism that is not necessary true of the technical "racist." The
most that can be said is that technical racism is a precondition for
the more virulent form, it is an error, a confusion of a subjective
entity with an objective one.

Race is what people believe it to be. Some of my children will
encounter racist attitudes, I can predict, because of how they look.
Not all of this is negative in itself: my Asian daughter, people will
expect to be smart.

Ahem.

>For IIA there is clearly an implication that some things, but not
>necessarily others, are held constant when an additional alternative is
>added.  The informal definitions fail to address exactly what is held
>constant.  It is certainly reasonable to specify that the mental
>preferences and any rules or restrictions on how those preferences are
>converted into votes are held constant. Call that IIA-P.  An alternative
>is to specify that the actual votes remain constant.  Call that IIA-V.
>
>It is pointless to argue that one is right and the other is wrong.

Yes. This is not so important with IIA, but the Majority Criterion is
important politically.

I thank Mr. Cary for his thoughtful response, of which I only quoted a little.