[EM] Even simplier anti-gerrymandering rule

raphfrk at netscape.net raphfrk at netscape.net
Tue Nov 7 06:18:28 PST 2006

  > At 7:02 AM -0800 11/6/06, <mrouse1 at mrouse.com> wrote:

> That method would work, but I think you are underestimating the impact of

> centrist/undecided/nonpartisan voters. Some people vote straight

> Republican or Democrat tickets, but when you have everyone in the whole

> ungerrymandered state deciding on which districting map to use, the result

> is likely to be less partisan than the current method.

I think this would go the same way as the electoral college did.

You have 2 maps and 10 districts:

Map 1:  10 Democrats

Map 2:  10 Republicans

It is in the interests of the State to give all its votes to the winner of

the election.

This is balanced against having better Representatives though.  I am not

sure where to draw the line.

A State which is 50/50 Republican/Democrat could get alot of influence

if it had that rule.  OTOH, if it was a safe State, then it could

lose influence compared to having a proportional map.  Also, the

"election" in theory would only happen once every 10 years ...

however, that is not strictly required.

?

  Raphfrk
 Interesting site