[EM] Even simplier anti-gerrymandering rule

raphfrk at netscape.net raphfrk at netscape.net
Tue Nov 7 05:48:58 PST 2006

From: bolson at bolson.org

 > Since that grows all the districts in parallel, but approximately doubling districts at each step, at the end
 > you'll have some districts with about double the population of other districts.

 Yea, I sorta said that at the end.

 I think that breaking the country up into simple blocks could allow similar algorithms though.

 Each of these blocks would have a population that is less than the maximum
 allowable error. This allows the algorithm to operate on those blocks rather
 than complex geo data from the census.

 New Plan for single seater districts based on the split line algorithm:

 The total population of the country is divided by the number of seats to be filled.

 This shall be the target population per seat.

 The maximum and minimum shall be 5% above and below this target.

 Each county shall be split into sub-county regions. <insert hard to change rule>
 (Max population = (2%)? of the target)

 The country shall be split using the following algorithm recursively with the entire
 country being the top level region. Recursion shall stop for regions which have only
 one seat allocated to them.

 The region shall be divided in two by the shortest boundary that divides the region in 2 such that

 - the boundary must follow county boundaries
 - seats can be allocated between the 2 sub-regions such that the sub-region population per seat assigned
 ... is within the max and minimum permitted
 - the 2 sub-regions are contiguous

 Seats shall be allocated between the 2 sub-regions using the allocation that is closest to the
 correct proportions as based on the 2 sub-regions' population.

 If no such boundary is possible, the same procedure is applied, but boundaries can
 follow sub-county regions.

    Raphfrk
 Interesting site
 "what if anyone could modify the laws"