[EM] Even simplier anti-gerrymandering rule

Jonathan Lundell jlundell at pobox.com
Mon Nov 6 08:27:46 PST 2006

At 7:02 AM -0800 11/6/06, <mrouse1 at mrouse.com> wrote:
>A simple solution to gerrymandering is to have the voters pick which
>districting method they want. Every recognized political party in a state
>could offer their own version (subject to certain restrictions, like
>simple closed curves and equal populations in each district), and voters
>could pick which one they prefer in a general election. That districting
>method would then be used for the *following* election.

Sounds more like a gerrymandering guarantee, at least if there's a
majority part at the time of the districting election.

How about this: same rule, but a voters are prohibited from voting
for the rule advanced by their own party (ignoring the problem of
opportunistic party-switching). A variation on the old
candy-bar-sharing algorithm.

(I don't think it actually works, as specified, but you get the general idea.)
--
/Jonathan Lundell.