[EM] RE : Majority Criterion, hidden contradictions

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sun Nov 5 20:56:02 PST 2006

At 11:06 AM 11/2/2006, Kevin Venzke wrote:
>--- Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <abd at lomaxdesign.com> a écrit :
> > I've been realizing just how defective the Majority Criterion is.
> > People tend to assume that the Majority Criterion is an important
> > characteristic of any proper democratic election system.
>
>I suspect that many people would insist on a majority favorite being
>elected at least if the method collects enough information to
>determine who this candidate is.

Most methods do collect that information. But if
a Majority preferred candidate fails to win under
Range, it is necessarily that they, on average,
also rated the Range winner quite high.

Sure, people will insist on this. Because they
have confused the Majority Criterion with
Majority Rule. But elections are defective when
they attempt to choose between more than two choices.

Consider this: an election is held in two phases.
The first phase is Range. The second phase, to
take it to the extreme, is a ratification phase,
in which the question is presented, "Shall the
Range winner be elected to the office?"

Would this election satisfy Majority rule? Yes, necessarily it would.

Let me tell you, I've seen voting in actual
situations where there was a status quo A. And
objections to A were raised. And people,
long-time members of the organization, and A had
been the status quote for perhaps fifty years,
literally said, "Over my dead body." After
discussion, a poll was taken that was essentially
an Approval polls. A variety of proposed
alternatives to A, plus A itself, were presented
and the members were asked to vote as to which of
these were acceptable to them. I think it was
perhaps 80% for A. But there was another option,
B, where the vote was, in think unanimous
approval, or maybe unanimous minus one. Then the
question was asked, "shall we change to B?" The
vote for this motion was unanimous in favor.

You cannot predict what people will actually
prefer until they have good information about
what everyone else prefers. In the organization
in question, unity was valued. They did not want
to needlessly neglect the strong preferences of a
minority. And they have been a strong
organization for many years largely because of this.

> > Yet the
> > Criterion itself suffers from a number of serious problems.
> >
> > (1) It is clear that any method which satisfies the Majority
> > Criterion cannot maximize the expected value of the election. Range
> > is the method which directly does the latter, and this is directly
> > connected with its non-satisfaction of the Majority Criterion.
>
>However, it is possible that there is no real method that can "maximize
>the expected value of the election," unless you just mean to maximize
>the value among all possible methods.

No, Range does this. If we assume that voters
express their expected value for the various
candidates, the expected value for the voters,
collectively, is the sum of the individual expectations.

Objections to Range are often based on the
assumption that voters will distort their
expression for strategic purpose. However, I've
shown, I believe, that this is an oxymoron. The
alleged distortion is an alleged strategic rating
of a serious competitor to the favorite at zero,
even though, in the scenarios proposed, they
actually only mildly prefer their favorite to the competitor.

Yet, the scenario assumes, they are willing to
lie about their preferences in order to gain the
election of their favorite. I claim that this
would be evidence that they are either mentally
ill or they actually strongly prefer the
favorite. It might be because their favorite is
from their party, rather than because of the
individual characteristics of the candidate. But
preference strength and Range ratings include
such considerations as party affiliation, at least for some....

>I don't think it is fair to say that Range "directly" "maximizes the
>expected value of the elections." I would grant that Range is equipped
>to do this better than other methods due to the ballot format, though.

Range is designed to do exactly this.

Note that a Range ballot can be analyzed and used
for other methods. It collects the most
information of any ballots I've seen proposed.

>[...]
> > Looks to me like Approval *does* satisfy the Majority Criterion.
>
>I can see nothing at all wrong with that interpretation, but personally
>I don't like to imagine that the Approval voter is only submitting
>first preferences.

Neither do I. But the point is that if they have
a preference, they are able to express it. They
can also do something else, which is to prefer a
block of candidates rather than just one. This is
an additional freedom. In standard Approval, they
cannot both prefer a block and express a
preference within a block, but, of course, they
can't do this with Plurality either. And, as I've
noted, it is commonly stated that Plurality satisfies the criterion.

We can say that Plurality satisfies the criterion
if we assume that the voters have expressed their
preference, without any strategic considerations
at all. I.e., they vote for their favorite, and
not for their favorite among the top-two. Which,
of course, is seriously harmful behavior, in at least some ways.

> > This is important because many writers assume that the Majority
> > Criterion is some kind of gold standard for elections, and when it is
> > asserted that Approval fails to satisfy it, this can be and is
> > considered a fatal argument, or at least a serious defect of Approval.
>
>I don't feel that Majority needs to be satisfied under Approval, in
>order to be publicly acceptable.

My argument for Approval is simple: tossing
overvotes is unjust, it has historically done a
great deal of harm in suppressing actual voter
intentions. Sure, some overvotes, maybe even
most, are errors, and we can't tell which of the
two candidates, if it is two, were intended. But
we can be pretty sure that it was one of them!

By tossing the vote, the method has made the
voter abstain from all pairwise elections. By
using it, the only pairwise election from which
the voter abstains is the one between the two
votes. Much less harm is done by not discarding the vote.

It has also been argued that prohibiting
overvoting helps prevent election fraud. All I
can say is that it seems to me that it opens the
door to election fraud more than it closes it....

The argument for prohibiting it seems to be that
voters should make a clear choice. The reasoning
behind this escapes me. Once again, it gives
value to a slight preference, equating it with a clear one.

Implementing Approval is trivial, just strike out
the few lines in the election code that prohibit
overvoting. Everything else stays the same.
Approval is already standard in some states where
there are two conflicting initiatives on the
ballot. If they both pass, the one with the most votes wins.

Really, it shouldn't be all that difficult. The
arguments against it will really be that it will
make it easier for third parties, but probably it
will mostly serve to prevent the spoiler effect
from being as common a danger as it presently is.

And it will open the door to Range, being an
obvious next step. Which might be Range 3 or Range 10 rather than Range 100.