[EM] RE : Ranked Preference benefits

Chris Benham chrisjbenham at optusnet.com.au
Fri Nov 3 18:17:08 PST 2006

Juho,

> You mentioned "strongest indicated preference gap" as the approval
> cut. How about defining it dynamically so that one would find the
> strongest preference relation that still has non-eliminated
> candidates at both sides of it? (like in RP)

CB: I did. Or if I didn't make it clear, I meant to. Otherwise there
wouldn't be any point to the lower ranked  "preference gaps".

> "Interpreting ballots as approving all candidates above the  strongest
> indicated preference gap...
>
> Recalculate (among remaining candidates) the DM set and repeat the
> whole process until an X is elected."

When we "repeat the whole process", "strongest indicated preference gap"
refers to "preference gap among remaining candidates".

BTW, the initials "RP" are well taken by  "Ranked Pairs" so if  your
method is going to stick around maybe it should have a different name.
The name
"ranked preferences" seems to just refer to the ballot style, which has
been previously on EM called a  "dyadic ballot".

Chris  Benham