[EM] STV when applied to choosing pizza toppings

Nathan Larson nathanlarson3141 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 20:15:31 PST 2006

Does anyone have any comments in reference to this critique of STV as
applied to choosing three pizza toppings? The issue is whether it's fair to
transfer the surplus votes from the winners before transfering votes from
the losers.

---
What you describe would indeed work, however....

Suppose the second choices of the 100 "winner" (pepperoni) votes were
one half for mushrooms, one half for onions. This, if I follow the
numbers correctly, means that mushrooms and onions would win (with 40
and 56 respectively). But look: you have completely ignored the second
(and third) choices of the folks who didn't vote for pepperoni as first
place. You just disenfranchised 56 voters. Why should only the
pepperoni-first voters be the ones who get to exercise their second and
(possibly) third choices? Doesn't seem fair to me! Those 56 NAP
members who didn't vote pepperoni first may ALL have voted (yuk)
anchovies as their second choice. Clearly that would exceed the quota
and anchovies would have garnered MORE votes that any of the
non-pepperoni choices. But you trashed them. For shame!

With smaller numbers the problems become more apparent. I am taking the
liberty of e-mailing you directly the essay I did some years ago.
Enjoy! Meanwhile I'll think about constructing a counter example where
there is no choice but an arbitrary choice (following your rules) that
causes a different outcome.

But not tonight. Too late.

John

John D. Stackpole, CPP, PRP Voice: 301.292.9479
Parliamentary Services Fax: 301.292.9527
11 Battersea Ln.
Ft. Washington, MD 20744-7203

--
Nathan Larson, CPA