[EM] Simulations with social welfare functions

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sun May 28 10:15:04 PDT 2006

At 07:13 AM 5/26/2006, Jobst Heitzig wrote:
>Perhaps, but I must say that I never thought about multi-winner methods
>thoroughly. My impression is that for electing a multi-seat
>representative body, something like Delegable Proxy would be my choice.

Asset Voting, properly implemented, is quite equivalent in some ways
to Delegable Proxy, except that it produces a peer assembly, through
secret-ballot elections.

DP, in a sense, is a standing Asset Voting election. To create a peer
assembly would be simple with a DP network in place, if it were
considered appropriate.

A peer assembly is one in which all members have equal voting power.
Supposedly, legislatures and parliaments are peer assemblies, as
designed, through the device of having districts of roughly equal
population. But this, unfortunately, leaves minorities [and sometimes
even majorities] unrepresented or represented out of proportion to
population. Further, the actual procedures may give effective
enhanced voting power to some members, for some questions, when
control of the agenda is vested in limited hands. Asset Voting would
create a nearly perfect PR assembly, with members having equal voting
power, it can reasonably be expected. DP could do that, while, at the
same time, having an independent structure that could bypass the
restrictions of assembly rules, where a clique or oligarchy attempts
to control the assembly through them.

I.e., DP is far more than a voting method.... it creates a
bidirectional communications structure that is formed fully with
freedom of choice, from the bottom. At least this is the theory. We
won't know the truth of the matter, really, until it is tried. There
are active projects, but none of them have reached a size where DP
becomes truly significant.

It is my view that DP would help even small organizations, but few
see the need at that level. Were DP complicated or expensive, I'd
agree. But it isn't. It's really just a glorified, bidirectional
phone tree. It doesn't have to add work or traffic, until it is needed.

But if it is not there from the beginning, and as an organization
grows, it can be *extremely* difficult to introduce it later, due to
the persistence of inequities effect that I have described so many
times that it has been called the "Lomax effect." I'd rather there be
a briefer, but impersonal, name.... This is an effect that I've seen
in nearly all organizations, even small ones; it is weak at the
beginning, but it increases with the age of the organization and the
development of an effective oligarchy, which can appear to be quite
benign and natural. Indeed, it *is* natural, that is why it is so
ubiquitous. But it is not benign, it, in my view, ultimately and
slowly strangles what would otherwise be the natural evolution of the
association; and people scratch their heads and wonder why things
aren't like they were in the good ol' days, when every member was
enthusiastic and people worked together spontaneously and with
general consensus. I've seen it in volunteer organizations of all
kinds, in private schools founded by groups of parents who wanted
that kind of education for their children, in political action groups
and parties, practically everwhere. Not to mention, of course,
oppressive oligarchical political regimes, which is the extreme case.