[EM] Simulations with social welfare functions

Simmons, Forest simmonfo at up.edu
Thu May 25 12:31:48 PDT 2006

Jobst,

Thanks for doing these simulations and getting us thinking along these lines.

I wonder how Bucklin would fare in your simulations?  Or how about the quartile variation of Bucklin in which the "bar" is lowered simultaneously on the range style ballots until at least one candidate is rated above the bar on at least 75 percent of the ballots.  If this yields more than one winner, then eliminate winners by random ballot until there is only one left.

I like Liberal Fair Choice (LFC).  It works well in the example that Kevin Venzke always worried about:

49 C
24 B  (but sincere is B>A>C)
27 A>B>>C

No candidate is strongly defeated since the approval order is B>C>A, but more than 51/2 voters prefer C to B, and more than 51/2 prefer A to B, and more than 49/2 prefer A to C.

So the winner is chosen by random ballot.

What if we modified LFC by using MinOf2 to pick the winner from among the candidates that are not strongly defeated?

Or how about going beyond Gini by using MinOf3, or by using MinOf(K) for the largest K that distinguishes a winner, i.e. using random ballot to eliminate all but one candidate?

Could we modify LFC for the multiwinner case by relaxing the definition of "strongly defeated" appropriately?

For the N winner case, perhaps something like ...

Call x "strongly defeated" by y iff approval(y) > approval(x) and fewer than approval(y)/(N+1) voters prefer x to y.

First eliminate the strongly defeated candidates, and then use random ballot to eliminate all but N of the remaining candidates.

Something like that.

Keep us going on this!

Forest