[EM] teams

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue May 16 18:09:57 PDT 2006

At 06:23 PM 5/16/2006, Antonio Oneala wrote:
>     Asset voting is a way to quickly aggregate the preference of
> the teams, but it does have flaws.  Because you are assigning your
> vote to someone who is not yourself, they will often vote differently.

That characteristic of Asset Voting is not necessarily a flaw. On the
average, candidates (who are functioning like electors under Asset
Voting, as well as being candidates), will know the other candidates
much better than I. Unless I'm a candidate! Now, if better
information has any effect on voter behavior, we can predict that the
votes will be different. That's the good news, not the bad news!

>And this coming from a furtherment of democracy activist... I
>actually sometimes have little faith in the system, as all the
>people seem to want to do is use it to benefit themselves at the
>expense of others.  Yet, many more democracies are much freer than
>than the other systems that have been proposed, so I guess there's
>little alternative.

There is an alternative. Long story. For starters,

http://beyondpolitics.org/wiki
http://metaparty.beyondpolitics.org

These are initiatives that start here and there is a plan that takes
them there. One step at a time. The first steps are for people to
simply understand the possibilities. Believe me, that is quite hard
enough. But it will happen, I'm quite sure, unless some truly major
catastrophe makes democracy impossible before the change has time to set in.

Let me put it this way. If it does not happen, it will be because
something better came along. And one of the characteristics of this
plan is that it sets up a system which is structurally open to new
ideas, *without* being unstable.