[EM] Electoral College

RLSuter at aol.com RLSuter at aol.com
Thu May 11 18:50:34 PDT 2006

On May 4, Steve Eppley wrote:

> Could Article I. Section 10 of the US Constitution interfere with that
> scheme?
>
>   "No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any duty
>   of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace,
>   enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State,
>   or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually
>   invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay."
>
> I'm referring to the ban against entering into any agreement or
> compact with another state without the consent of Congress.

This issue is discussed in exhaustive detail in chapter 5 of a book
published by the group behind the new proposal to elect the president
by national popular vote by means of an interstate compact regarding
the electoral college.

The entire book is available online in PDF format. The table of contents
with links to each chapter is at:

http://www.every-vote-equal.com/tableofcontents.htm

-Ralph Suter