[EM] Invitation for anyone to copy, web-post, or distribute my articles &/or postings

Michael Poole mdpoole at troilus.org
Thu May 11 15:00:02 PDT 2006

Paul Kislanko writes:

> I admire the explicit requests to use Mike's stuff, and it was nice of him
> to respond, but it probably wasn't necessary.
>
> Here's how the US copyright works. Anything you "publish" by any medium IS
> protected by copyright if it includes a notice that it is. If it doesn't
> include such a notice, it is "Public Domain" by default.

This has been false since at least 1989, when the Berne Convention
Implementation Act of 1988 went into effect and granted automatic
copyright protections on all copyrightable work as soon as that work
is created.

Most other signatories implemented that part of the Berne Convention
well before the USA did, given that the original Convention was signed
in _18_86.

Michael Poole