[EM] Looking for a little voting insight...

Matthew Welland matt at kiatoa.com
Tue May 2 22:31:33 PDT 2006

Thanks Markus,

I don't follow the logic perfectly but looking at the example it seems that
intuitively "A" is the choice that would leave the least number of people
unhappy and since no-one has contradicted you I will go with that.

I think it would be interesting in a range of polls to have people rank the
comparative results of plurality vs approval vs condorcet etc.. Maybe it has
been done before. If anyone has pointers to such an experiment I'd be
interested. If it hasn't been done perhaps I can build it into my site. Of
course that begs the question - which voting system to use to measure the
quality of the voting system!

Matt
--

On Monday 01 May 2006 02:14, Markus Schulze wrote:
> Dear Matthew Welland,
>
> you wrote (30 April 2006):
> > Rubyvote has pure condorcet and cloneproof schwartz
> > sequential available.
>
> At Wikipedia, "pure Condorcet" is called "Minimax
> Condorcet":
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimax_Condorcet
>
> At Wikipedia, "cloneproof Schwartz sequential dropping"
> is called "Schulze method":
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulze_method

> You wrote (30 April 2006):
> > I want to keep things simple.
> > Does it matter which method I choose?
>
> Yes, it does matter. Minimax and Schulze are different
> methods.
>
> Example:
>
>    3   A > B > D > C
>    5   A > D > B > C
>    1   A > D > C > B
>    2   B > A > D > C
>    2   B > D > C > A
>    4   C > A > B > D
>    6   C > B > A > D
>    2   D > B > C > A
>    5   D > C > A > B
>
>    Suppose d[X,Y] is the number of voters who strictly
>    prefer candidate X to candidate Y. Then we get:
>
>    d[A,B]=18
>    d[A,C]=11
>    d[A,D]=21
>
>    d[B,A]=12
>    d[B,C]=14
>    d[B,D]=17
>
>    d[C,A]=19
>    d[C,B]=16
>    d[C,D]=10
>
>    d[D,A]=9
>    d[D,B]=13
>    d[D,C]=20
>
>    Minimax chooses candidate B.
>
>    The strongest paths are:
>
>    A-18-B
>    A-21-D-20-C
>    A-21-D
>
>    B-17-D-20-C-19-A
>    B-17-D-20-C
>    B-17-D
>
>    C-19-A
>    C-19-A-18-B
>    C-19-A-21-D
>
>    D-20-C-19-A
>    D-20-C-19-A-18-B
>    D-20-C
>
>    Schulze chooses candidate A.
>
> Markus Schulze
> ----

http://www.kiatoa.com, a self-governing site where *you* can be the boss!
  You make and choose the stories and the classifieds are always free.
     Also, many "best of" polls. Come join in the ballot stuffing!