[EM] Real IRV Election, Disputable Result

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Tue Mar 14 09:47:44 PST 2006

SUMMARY of what I see since Rep. Jim Condon asked for help:

With IRV, tie-rank votes need to either be prohibited or the exact way of
accounting for them defined (counting them with each tied candidate
holding the same rank encourages taking advantage of such voting).  With
Condorcet, tie-rank should be normal, for voters can like it and it gives
no special advantage to users with the round-robin counting used.

IRR and VRR are being used here as synonyms for Condorcet.

BTW - IRV claims to getting a majority winner need understanding.  Try
voters who do not rank every candidate and could vote 25A  30B  35C.  IRV
will discard the 25A and declare C the winner among the 65 votes still
being counted.  Agreed C properly wins, but total votes were 90.