[EM] Real IRV Election, Disputable Result

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Fri Mar 10 20:08:08 PST 2006

At 09:39 PM 3/10/2006, Jonathan Lundell wrote:
> >Thanks for doing this analysis!  This is BIG news in the small world
> >of voting methods! :-)
>
>How so? It's well known that IRV/AV/STV doesn't necessarily find the
>Condorcet winner. It shouldn't be too surprising that there are
>real-world examples.

Actually, IRV proponents routinely claim that, yes, theoretically,
IRV can fail to select the Condorcet winner, but the circumstances
are so rare that they don't happen. So this is significant.

I've also seen the claim that the IRV winner deserves to win in a
case like this, for some BS reason that I don't remember. It is hard
for me to remember nonsense.