[EM] DP in a legislature

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sun Mar 5 19:15:35 PST 2006

I am personally grateful to Mr. Ketchum for entering this discussion
and for furthering it. I fear that my responses here and elsewhere
may be too long, but they are such as they are. All of this
potentially is generating material for the BeyondPolitics wiki and,
perhaps, we should have a specific BeyondPolitics list, for the
discussion of Free Association and Delegable Proxy concepts (I
believe that they are naturally linked for reasons that I explain
here and there in my writings.) Indeed, there is already such a list,
but it has not had my attention lately. Anyone can join at
http://beyondpolitics.org/mailman/listinfo/members_beyondpolitics.org

(that is members underscore beyondpolitics.org)

At 07:53 AM 3/5/2006, Dave Ketchum wrote:
>I elect members of school district, village, town, county, state,
>and national legislatures.  I am ready to invest more time than many
>are willing to invest in government, but there is no way I will
>support a system that demands that I invest enough time to
>participate intelligently in all those bodies.

I.e., in the present system, in which it is not only impossible to
directly participate intelligently, indirect participation through
elected representatives is, as we know, flawed in many ways.
Delegable proxy can't change the first problem, except to make it
possible to participate directly where one has the time and
inclination, but it *does* allow a very minimum level of
participation in *all* bodies, even if there are hundreds or
thousands of them, because every citizen or member could name a proxy
to every organization, and one proxy might suffice, theoretically,
for all of them. All the citizen would have to do is to confirm a
registration for each organization, something that takes little more
than a minute. Beyond that, the citizen's continued participation is
through having amplified the organizational trust embodied in the
chain of proxies, and through maintaining that trust.

I have suggested that direct proxies have a natural limit of twenty
or so. However, that limit represents what I expect would not
generate too much traffic in a general-purpose organization of high
interest. I might join a delegable proxy organization of Subaru
owners, directly or through, say, a consumer FA, and a proxy in that
Subaru Owners organization might have thousands of people
represented. Part of this proxy's task would be to contact me,
probably through a mailing list, when there is something the proxy
thinks I should know or something I should do. I would only
participate directly occasionally, if at all.

That proxies are filters is a very important concept. In the upward
direction, it is essential that information be filtered, or else the
central body, and those who participate in it, will be overwhelmed.
In DP, one's input is filtered and integrated with input from other
members, as it is in any representative system. The difference with
DP is that the filters are chosen by those who are being filtered.

And the same filtration operates in the other direction. If a proxy
overwhelms me with too much information, it would be a possible
reason to reassign my proxy to one with a better sense of what to
send down and what to leave at a higher level.

>I did not mention referenda last time but, just as they are used in
>present governments, they could be used for a limited number of
>describable issues.

With a DP legislature, particularly if direct voting is allowed,
referenda are useless and dangerous redundancies.

Referenda encourage voters who don't understand issues to vote, and I
have seen, again and again, voters, all too easily, influenced to
vote against their own interests, and not in favor of the interest of
society as a whole, but of the special interest which poured vast
amounts of money into promoting approval of a referendum that they
wrote. California's lottery was started by such a referendum, and the
law was written to favor one particular vendor of lottery equipment,
in technicalities that few voters would even notice. And the ballot
arguments, which are distributed to all voters and which contain Pro,
Con, Con Reply and Pro Reply arguments (which presumes, by the way
that there are only two sides to an argument). In the Pro Reply,
which is submitted simultaneously with the Con Reply, there was a
claim that the arguments of the Con side were ridiculous because ...
and an appeal was made to a simple math error, which the proponents
were obviously counting on being made by many voters. And it passed.
The ostensible purpose of the lottery was to fund education, and
educators were solidly against it....

Referenda don't just bypass legislators, they also bypass, largely,
considered and informed deliberation. Bad idea. Necessary in some
cases, but DP, I believe, handles all those situations easily.

>Seems like some issues must be done by the legislature for
>practicality. For example, balancing taxes and expenses for a budget
>seems beyond doing except for a legislature to debate the balancing.

Actually, any community decisions should be made with deliberation,
as thorough as the decision warrants. I'd include, by the way, the
selection of officers. In my opinion, the direct election of officers
is responsible for the ascending power of special interests, for
direct elections are rather easily manipulable. All it takes is money
or good organization.

(This fact is why I think that DP could come to the public arena long
before a majority of people participate in it. Even a relatively
small FA/DP organization, where it can find internal consensus or
something approaching it, could exert power far beyond its percentage
of the vote, just as big money does now. I think we don't normally
realize how small "big money" is. To buy a U.S. Presidential election
probably takes on the order of a billion dollars. That is less than
$5 per citizen.)

>Thus I assume a legislature with about as many members as now, doing
>their own voting as now, with referenda when that works, and other
>voters not getting involved beyond identifying proxies and voting in referenda.

I also forsee something like this, adding only that voters *can* get
involved if they so choose. Most of them won't, beyond occasionally
reviewing the actions of their proxy and the effect of their votes.
And I don't see referenda taking place, with practically no
exception. What would justify a referendum and the associated very
substantial cost (elections are *expensive*, in terms of the total
social expenditure), when citizens may initiate, through proxies,
legislation, and may also directly vote on it if they so choose?

Holding a referendum *forces* citizens who care to participate, or
else risk a decision by a motivated minority (which often happens
anyway). It is actually coercive.

DP democracy is representative democracy *without* elections.
Officers would likewise be chosen as in a parliamentary system, by
vote of the assembly. It might be more accurate to say "hired," for
officers would not have fixed terms (also as in a parliamentary
system), they would serve at the pleasure of the assembly.

>Voters with "common" desires will have no trouble finding suitable
>proxies.  Those with less popular opinions can be lucky if the whole
>state has enough voters who think alike to appoint one legislator.

Given that one only has to find a proxy willing to pass up the ideas,
even very unpopular opinions would see the light of day, even if only
far down in a proxy network, where, if they are rejected, the one
submitting it knows why and may be able to speak directly with the
one doing the rejecting. (The original submitter might not be able to
speak directly if the rejection takes place at a level higher than
that submitter's proxy, but the proxy who has decided to try to pass
up the idea to the one who rejects it *will* have that opportunity.
The point is that the conversation takes place, and that its content
gets passed down, not through some impersonal mechanism, but by one
who has been trusted, directly or indirectly, by the submitter.

I'm telling you, DP is *radically* different from any formal
organizational system ever seen. While it is, in fact, similar to
what happens in small peer groups, the formalization makes it
possible to extend this to large organizations.

I'm sure that anarchists and libertarians, if they understand it,
will love it. I hasten to add that an opinion that these principles
would work well in Free Associations is not the same thing as an
opinion that society as a whole should run on anarchist or
libertarian rules (or lack of rules). I consider freedom quite
valuable, but, obviously, freedom itself is not enough to secure the
common weal. I'll leave it to future generations to work out the balance.

But total freedom, restrained only by natural forces, in Free
Associations, is not only possible, and *now*, but it actually is
known to work under the right circumstances. I think those
circumstances can be generalized.

We do not have to wait to move the Leviathan. We can't move the
Leviathan until we are organized so.... *How* do we organize? There
are lots of ways that don't work, and the ways that work to some
degree are exactly the ways that have led us to the present
situation. FA/DP is a suggested answer, and, I submit, it is so easy
to try that ... What are we waiting for?

I know of only one reason. We are actually in despair about finding a
solution, to the point where when one comes and bonks us on the nose,
we don't move. We are sure that it won't work, for, after all, if it
were that easy, wouldn't it already be in use?

>Initial assignment means little because it only happens once.  A
>proxy can last forever so long as both voter and proxy holder are willing.
>
>My coercion topic was protecting voters from being ordered to please
>someone else in their selection of a proxy.

Yes, that was understood. When I wrote "initial assignment," I did
not mean the chronological assignment. I meant the base-level direct
assignment by someone who is not a proxy to someone who either
already is one for others, or who becomes one by virtue of this
assignment. In a secret ballot system, that assignment is anonymous
and protected, but the very protection hampers the full functioning of it.

The problem is actually complex, but, fortunately, it is practically
irrelevant in the Free Association application of DP, which, I expect
and would highly advise, should precede implementation in
organizations which directly exercise power (and which are therefore
dangerous).

>Members of the voting body apply by indicating that intent, rather
>than naming a proxy.  Then, if not holding enough proxies to be in
>the voting body, they must name a proxy to get represented.
>
>Not clear about how to prevent loops - though that is essential.

The goal in DP is for every member to name a proxy. Except for loops,
it will then be a near certainty that everyone will be represented.
There is no need for applications or declarations of intent.

If everyone names a proxy, loops are obviously going to be formed.
The problem is not loops, but loops which contain no active member in
the assembly in question. However, all that is necessary is to inform
the members of loops that they are not represented, and all that has
to happen to break the loop is for *one* member of it to name a proxy
outside the loop; this action then connects the loop. Iterate until
the loop is large enough to have a representative.

And even if a loop does not have a representative, it can still do
what we do today when we are concerned about legislation, only we
will, in this system, have many more options.

(1) We can caucus with others, compromising as necessary, to create
an eligible member.
(2) We can find a sufficiently sympathetic member who is already
eligible and one of us names him or her as our proxy. It only has to be one!
(3) We can find a sufficiently sympathetic member who is willing to
consider and pass on our ideas and concerns, even if we don't name
this person or he or she does not accept our proxy. The person does
not have to agree with our ideas, but only that they should be heard.

And if direct voting is allowed -- highly recommended -- we can still
participate fully in all decisions, except for deliberation. And,
again, it only takes one of us to vote in order to represent all of us.

This separation of participation rights into voting and "speaking,"
-- i.e., addressing the assembly and entering motions -- is such a
simple idea that I would not be surprised to see that it's been
mentioned somewhere. But I haven't seen it.

That the two rights are merged and that vote delegation is not
allowed are the *only* reasons why direct democracies like Town
Meeting, when they grow in size, always devolve into representative
democracy. It is ironic that the Town of Amherst has a "Town Meeting"
which is actually a huge representative body, specially established
by Massachusetts law for the town, I think it was about sixty years
ago, with representatives elected by neighborhood. The town is
bitterly divided over whether or not to move to a Mayor/Council
government; a referendum to accomplish this lost by several votes a
few years ago, and was repeated, and it still lost by a very small
margin. Obviously, something is not working, and I don't wonder.
Amherst Town Meeting, to me, sounds like representative democracy
with a huge assembly and district representation rather than
proportional representation. I have some experience with large
assemblies (100+). It is not fun, unless you like endless debate.

>It is essential that a district assign more than one assembly
>member, to give voters a choice.  Likely reason for splitting the
>assembly into multiple districts is to ensure representation from
>each such district.

Which, in my view, restricts the freedom of the members of districts,
who are forced to find representation within their district. Voters
will *naturally* tend to select proxies who are in their proximity! :-)

No district will be unrepresented. The only question is whether or
not representation will be crisply assigned to identified proxies or
will be diffuse (but still subject to independent organization for
coordinated action). I'd prefer to leave that to the voters
themselves. Why not? Do we think that we know better?

And if a majority of voters want district representation, why, let
them have it. Just don't forbid voters who disagree, who want
something else, like a representative who actually represents *them*,
from obtaining it.

It is a basic principle: government should not coerce or limit unless
there is sound and continuing reason.

>A platform can be simple, such as "all the parents of students in
>the XYZ school".  Even such could split, based on disagreement as to
>how the school is to operate.

This takes the word "platform" outside of its common meaning so far
that I suggest its use is highly misleading.

>Got to find someone I can trust to back my interests.  Can be that
>no personal friend qualifies.

Doesn't have to be a personal friend, only has to be someone with
whom you can communicate.

Natural Law: you participate yourself or someone participates for
you. Or you don't participate. Got any other options?

The question is only, if you are not going to participate yourself,
how is your representative chosen? I suggest that the natural chooser is you.

I remember a neighbor, who, upon hearing about delegable proxy said,
"Oh, I could never trust anyone else to vote for me." As if this was
not what happened every time every governmental body with
jurisdiction related to her voted on something. This whom is almost
totally powerless, but she would not delegate power?

No wonder she is almost powerless! (She and millions of others who
think that way.)

Wealthy people, forming corporations, had no problem setting up a
system of representation where trusted attorneys-in-fact, i.e.,
proxies, voted for them. I'm sure that they never even considered
having elected representatives at the Annual Meeting. (But the Board
of Directors is elected by vote of the shareholders, directly or
through proxies, at the Annual Meeting. So, in a sense, corporations
*do* elect representatives to an ongoing body. I won't go into the
legal necessities behind this, but, in my view, this is one of the
weaknesses of the corporate structure as we know it. It is
remediable, however, and rather easily, with no changes in law, just
in the attitude of shareholders. Yes, FA/DP.)

And in FA/DP, it is not power other than the power to communicate
which is delegated, unless the member so chooses. (You *could*
authorize your proxy to spend money on your behalf, perhaps setting
up a special bank account for that purpose, with the proxy having
signature power.)

>>>      Both lone voters, and those who already hold proxies, can offer
>>>their collection to this holder.
>>I'd never do it without a personal conversation.
>>Many people, presented today with such a system for public
>>governance, would not know what to do. Fortunately, proxy democracy
>>will almost certainly see broad adoption in non-governmental
>>organizations, so, by the time it hits public life, they will know what to do.
>

>Not quite.
>
>Agreed they can practice in private groups, but it is a BIG step
>from there to governing.

As expected (this is quite normal), something has been missed by Mr.
Ketchum. Large organized private groups *are* the government,
effectively. All it takes is a little patience and a little effort
per member. (Or a *lot* of effort or cash from a few members.)

We bemoan the fact when we bemoan the effect of special interest
money on government. But "special interest money" is only shorthand
for "organized effort." We think they are rich and we are poor. It's
backwards, actually, but it seems to be that way only because we are
not organized. And they are.

(An individual having a large amount of money only represents the
fact that the mechanisms of society have determined that the social
welfare, on the average, is served by giving some persons significant
organizational power, specifically those who are able to collect
wealth. The money means nothing if people won't accept it. Money is a
very important invention, allowing a certain kind of distributed
intelligence to function. There are, I suspect, better ways, but
money will have to do until the better ways are proven; attempts to
abolish the money system have tended to be quite dangerous. So I
would not abolish it, I would *use* it.)

>Assuming you WANT to be an active proxy holder, you will discover a
>need to attract enough proxies to get yourself a seat in the
>government that you wish to be in.

Would *I* want to be a proxy? Or would I prefer to directly
participate in whatever interest me and leave the rest to someone I
trust? If I'm a high-level proxy, I suspect, it would tend to take
over my life.

The thirst for power is, we've been told for thousands of years,
foolish. It eats those who pursue it.

I don't want to be a proxy. But I'm *willing* to serve if asked.

Existing systems tend to shut out people like me. The paradox is well
known: anyone smart enough (and, perhaps, with enough integrity) to
serve as President will avoid the job, and the process of getting
there, like the plague. The best Islamic scholars, the ones good
enough to be remembered even today, used to hide when the khalif
wanted to appoint them as judges....

If we have a government with direct voting and DP, which is what I'm
thinking at this time is what would work for governmental bodies, I
*already* would have a seat in government, just not the intrinsic
right to speak and enter motions. But I can still do those things
indirectly: all I have to do is to convince my proxy, as the basic
way. But I can also do it if I can find *any* sympathetic full member.

And if I cannot find a sympathetic full member, what in the world
would make me think that I would be doing more than wasting
everyone's time by trying to get the assembly to consider it?

DP limits the time-wasting to what happens between me and my proxy,
it does not drag everyone else into it, unless they are willing.
(Those other representatives don't have to talk to me. But, note, if
I can convince *anyone* else that it is a good idea, that person can
take it to *his* proxy. In other words, if I have the best proxy I
can find, but somehow this proxy has a blind spot, I think, with
respect to my idea, I don't have to dump him. I can go around him, it
is just a bit more trouble. But much less trouble than it presently is.)

>I cannot picture a significant percentage of voters being willing
>and able to invest the time to prepare to vote intelligently on the
>many issues each government must attend to.

Neither can I. But who decides who is ready to vote intelligently or
not? I submit that if the decision is made by anyone other than the
voter, the system is coercive.

The vast majority of voters will, quite properly, allow their proxies
to represent them. But direct voting is a safeguard and a safety
valve. It means, among other things, that you *don't* have to find a
proxy who agrees with you on everything, not even just everything
important. If it is important to you, you can vote directly if your
proxy's action does not satisfy you.

>As you mention below, town meeting governments find themselves
>overwhelmed by all but the simplest collection of town-level problems.

Truer the larger the town. I live in a town with about 800 registered
voters. Town government is actually quite good. But it would also
benefit greatly from a parallel FA/DP organization. And one will be
started. The wiki exists (cummington.beyondpolitics.org), but
participation is still miniscule.

What I have found is that it is difficult to find people who can
understand, on first encounter, even a fraction of the concept.
Gradually, however, the circle of those who "get it" is expanding.
One of the most influential people in Cummington is a supporter. But
it still takes time. That woman above, I mentioned, who said she
could never delegate her vote (she wasn't being asked to, but that is
how she heard it, as do many), a year later, when the topic came up,
was *much* more receptive. Time is necessary for the ideas to
percolate down into that internal fractal we call the brain. It has
defenses against new ideas, necessary protections. Time overcomes
those defenses, forcing long deliberation (often unconsciously) of
new ideas. It is quite functional, if frustrating as all get-out.

>While anyone can write to their legislator, no legislator or
>legislature can find time to respond to an unlimited amount of
>detailed voter comment.

Exactly. Which is why I don't attempt to communicate directly with
the proxy, far up the chain, who ultimately represents me in the
public assembly. I communicate with my personal, direct proxy. If
proxies are limited (not by law but by practice) to twenty, the
legislator only has to receive input from twenty people. They filter
it for him.

And this is quite another reason why proxy assignment must be mutual.
A proxy's input is largely going to be filtered by those directly
represented. (The proxy can seek wider input, and many will, but the
circle of those represented directly is the obvious mechanism by
which the proxy remains informed as to the state of the electorate,
or at least of the proxy's constituency.)

>Topic is how to solve the problem of a holder finding more proxies
>offered than the holder is willing/able to handle your way.  I say
>the holder should not object when a proxy is offered - just not
>promise impossible support, and leave it to the voter to choose
>between accepting what is offered here, and looking for a holder
>with more time.

That is the position that I've settled on, except that the proxy must
accept for the proxy to be valid, that much I would require. That
acceptance can be automated if the proxy so desires.

The voter will soon find out if the proxy is providing sufficient
service. First time they try to call him up. And if he doesn't
provide that contact information, well, caveat emptor.

Proxies could ask for fees, by the way. Why not? Don't want to pay a
fee, find someone willing to represent you for free. Again, caveat
emptor, for in a sense, nobody does anything for free. Or almost
nobody. Even if no money is involved, the compensation is noncash.

(We *do* pay public representatives in current practice, out of
taxes. Should the public do this, or should those represented? I'd
think it a libertarian idea to do the latter. I tend to agree, and
one reason is that the obvious objection is spurious. Poor people,
quite simply, are not nearly as poor as we might think, plus I'm sure
that the collected resources of the poor would be augmented by
donations from those who want to see them represented. The amount of
money per constituent to support a full-time legislator, representing
a quota of the public, is actually trivial, pocket change.

>Someone wanting a seat in an assembly could find seeking voters to
>be essential to getting the seat.

Yes, and they could end up with a mouthful of hair. If the person is
trustworthy and available for the task, why would he or she not
simply rise naturally in the fractal? There will be plenty of
activity and deliberation below the level of the assembly, in which
this person could become visible. But we are accustomed to the
present system, and we expect that DP will be like it, people will
have to seek office, raise funds to promote their candidacies, etc.

How DP will actually operate will become clear in FA/DP
organizations, without the risks of applying it in government.

DP, in a prepared context (where most people have a basic
understanding of it, perhaps through experience in NGOs) naturally
selects for trustworthiness. If the public doesn't trust you enough
that you would naturally have sufficient proxies, why would you want
a seat? Working for people who don't trust you is a truly thankless job!

Who would want a seat in the assembly sufficiently to try to seek
voters? I submit, most likely, it would be those who have some hidden
agenda (or even not hidden) other than the general welfare, who want
to try to exercise undue influence. Such people will continue to
exist, but, I think, voters will quite sensibly come to distrust
those who try to, for example, buy votes with promises rather than
proven performance.

Why would you want to buy someone's vote? Obviously, you expect to
profit from it.. Indeed, you expect to profit more than you pay. At
whose expense? If what you want to promote is a good idea, why do you
have to buy votes? -- you can get them for free under DP, and you
don't even have to be a member of the assembly.

>I say that you cannot have individual voters mangling Congress by
>avoiding the rule that they must get there via representation.  Drop
>this rule and millions will descend on Congress - your turn to THINK
>before offering a claim that your millions can be handled without
>the system grinding to a halt.

Won't we find out by trying it in the FA/DP organizations?

I fail to understand how Congress would be affected at all by
allowing direct vote. The vast majority of people won't directly
vote. If they are so motivated that enough of them *do* vote to have
a significant impact on outcomes, then, I'd suggest, they have failed
to lead, they have not done their job, which is to, through
deliberation, discover and implement consensus, or, at least, the
will of the majority.

(The will of the majority is defective compared to consensus, but
failing to allow the majority to act ends up being minority rule
where the status quo favors the minority, I've seen it many times in
consensus organizations. I just claim that the majority should
understand the risks when it overrules a minority, so procedure
should make it cumbersome to circumvent supermajority requirements,
and some kinds of actions should not require supermajorities.)

The fear of direct democracy is common, and completely unjustified,
I'd say. Town Meeting government *does* work. But not perfectly, even
it could benefit greatly from DP. The problem is that by "direct
democracy" most people think of everyone voting on everything, which
is a very, very bad idea. Such democracy, without proxy voting,
rapidly devolves into chaos, and out of the chaos emerges the
dictatorship of the active, all too often the fanatic and unbalanced.

>>(If for some reason membership is restricted too far, a majority of
>>those speaking before the assembly might be promoting a certain
>>agenda, yet the agenda would fail to receive majority approval. In
>>order to get majority approval, you need to allow broad participation.)
>

>Again, I say the voters participate via their proxies.  Take that
>away and it is your turn to describe how to make it work without the
>molasses turning to sludge.

I'd rather show a demonstration. Essentially, I see no reason for it
*not* to work, nor, indeed, for it to even be slow. Mr Ketchum is
simply assuming that it would be the tedious process he may have seen
in direct assemblies. Yet the extra members voting directly who are
not full members would have no power to slow down the process. They
could not speak without permission. They could not introduce motions
to amend or to table or any of the other motions that can delay
things. All they could do is to watch the proceedings and add their
vote whenever an item not reserved (as a Question of Privilege, if
you know Robert's Rules) for present members comes up for a vote. If
they want to insert something into the deliberations, they'll have to
do it through a proxy, as you would have it.

Voting rights and full participation rights not only can be
separated, they should be. Voting rights represent the right of the
public to consent, or to withhold consent, to the actions of the
assembly. The assembly must restrict full access in order to function
with a large organization.

The human body solved this problem long ago. The fractal structure
that is the human nervous system filters information, in both
directions, quite like the proposed DP. And if the central
consciousness, equivalent to the assembly, races ahead to make
decisions not integrated with the whole system, things get dicey, as
people discover when they try to force themselves into situations
before they are ready.

>Note that I leave it to the assembly to decide how many members is workable.

Yes. So would I. That the restriction does not affect the right to
vote is what makes this completely safe. Indeed, if the size is being
reduced, the reduction would have to be approved by those affected
(or by those representing them, with their continued consent).

I know that people will do this, they will restrict their own rights
to participate when they recognize that some restrictions are
necessary, for it takes a vote of the people to abandon Town Meeting.
And it almost always happens when the town gets too large. It even
happened in Amherst, which was left with a Town Meeting in name only.

>Holders offering popular platforms will have no problem attracting
>proxies (unless there are too many potential holders - in which case
>some will have to give up).
>
>My topic here is a collection  of misfits who do not get represented
>unless they can attract a holder willing to represent their diverse views.

I see DP in a very different way. The proxies represent their *own*
views, and they vote their own views as well. The proxy system simply
amplifies their voting power according to the measure of trust they
enjoy. What a citizen needs to do to be represented is to find
someone willing to listen to him or her, someone with whom he or she
has good communication. It is not essential that there be a
representation of a platform; indeed, platform is a huge distraction.

There is, of course, a connection between similarity of views and
acceptability of a proxy, but, consider this: if I could find the
most trustworthy person in the world, i.e., both highly intelligent,
open-minded and a good listener, ethical, etc., I'd expect that I
would have different opinions, at least at first, than this person.

(A thought experiment: suppose a book was revealed, it was broad in
topic, and everything in that book was absolute truth. Do you think
that you would agree with everything in it? If so, you are not like
me. I'm wrong sometimes.)

What matters to me about my proxy is that we can communicate, that I
can explain my ideas to him or her, that I can be reasonably
confident that the ideas will be understood, and that they will not
be rejected without due consideration, and that the reasons for
rejection, if they are to be rejected, will be explained to me. As
well, I would expect that my proxy openly discuss matters of concern
with me, such that I'm not surprised by votes of my proxy, except, of
course, that the proxy may change his or her mind due to deliberation
or compromise in the assembly, in which case I would expect that
this, also, be explained.

>>>      Size of senate has to be kept manageable.
>>>      Do not see a voter having a voice or vote except via a holder with
>>>enough proxies to qualify for a seat.
>>Exactly. The exact number I would leave to the vote of the
>>assembly, assuming that this is a *full* vote, not merely the vote
>>of the members.
>

>Explain how you make '"full" vote' work.  The voters DO have the
>right to sign up with holders whose platforms conform to their desires.

That requires search and research, and a question such as the size of
the assembly could not wait for that. Besides, it is not at all
difficult to have direct voting. Indeed, for me, the question is
whether or not *remote* voting should be permitted; if a citizen is
actually present, they should be allowed to vote.

We don't need proxies to vote. We can vote directly, it's always been
technically feasible even prior to computers. What we need proxies
for is to represent us in the deliberative process. Voting without
deliberation is little more than making snap judgements without
thinking. (It is more because *some* people will have thought about
and will have researched the issues, but the opinions of those people
are diluted by the very many people who haven't.)

Exactly how would it work? Depends. First question: is remote voting
allowed? That is, can people not physically present at the assembly
vote? I can see arguments not to allow it, though the internet is
changing things. The general argument is that those not present are
not following the preceding discussion closely, as would be,
presumably, those who are present. But with the internet it becomes
possible for the debate to be transmitted in real time and followed
by everyone who cares. Still, I'd be still quite happy if direct
voting is limited to those present, so that is the question I will
answer. There are low-tech ways and high-tech ways. The high-tech
ways are not all that high-tech. There would be, readily available to
those in the galleries of the Senate, small terminals. Perhaps you
could obtain one when you enter, perhaps paying a small deposit, or
perhaps paying nothing. Terminals like this are already used for
voting in some assemblies. So when a vote is announced, you log into
the terminal to establish your identity and you vote. Your vote is
recorded just like the vote of full representatives. And like full
representatives in a DP assembly, to your vote is added the votes of
all those who are registered as assigning their proxy to you. Votes
are recorded in a DP system the same they are in any roll-call,
recorded vote system. The difference is that after the recording,
votes are analyzed by adding the proxies of all not present and
voting to those representing them, directly or indirectly. ("Voting"
includes expressed abstentions.)

Now, there is another extension which might be possible. After the
vote of those present is taken, there is a period during which those
present communicate with their constituencies about any vote that
they think might be controversial. After some delay, before
legislation is final, the public has an opportunity to vote remotely,
which they only need to do if they wish to effectively withdraw their
own vote from what their proxy expressed. While this may make little
difference in practice (a well-working DP system, because of the
rapid back-and-forth that it can make possible, will rarely see a
reversal of the actions of representatives by the general public),
the fact that it would be possible would make it easier to trust
proxies. You *don't* have to try to find a proxy with whom you agree
on everything. Indeed, to find such a person will for many be impossible.

Ultimately, the proxy, in a DP system as well as in standard business
practice, is someone you trust to handle certain affairs for you in
your absence for whatever reason. When you are present and not
incapacitated, the proxy is inactive. That's how it is with corporate
proxies, that's how it is with health care proxies, indeed that is
how it is with any power of attorney. We were just buying a house and
we gave our attorney the right to sign for us. Obviously, we trusted
him. It meant that documents could be executed without our presence,
a huge time-saver, and this particular purchase was time-critical,
the seller was in foreclosure and bankruptcy.

>Again, the task is to design a structure that:
>      Can get the assembly's job done in less than infinite time.

Yes. One of the benefits I expect from DP is the reduction in the
size of assemblies, with a concomitant increase in efficiency. The
U.S. House is *way* too large. Indeed, it only functions -- and the
Senate, much smaller likewise only functions -- because of the
committee system, which breaks it down into more manageable chunks
and much smaller bodies. I suspect that an ideal assembly size is
about twenty. Not coincidentally, about the size of the ideal proxy
direct constituency that I expect. But the system I propose limits
neither; rather, they would be limited by those involved, the motive
being efficiency while still retaining sufficient diversity. Once
again, the allowance of direct voting (which would often not be truly
direct, but through a nonqualified proxy) means that diversity is not
really lost.

>      Keeps voters from mucking up the works by voting without
> attempting to understand the issue being voted on.

This is the fear of direct democracy. I don't see it happening at the
Town Meeting level and I see no reason why it would happen at a
larger level *if* full participation is restricted. Voting *never*
mucks up the works, it only takes a few minutes with a good voting
system, and even the relatively complex voting calculations that DP
requires would only add milliseconds with computers. Maybe a few
seconds if we are talking about the Parliament of the Earth. (DP is
practical, I believe, in groups of up to a few thousand *without*
computers, and in FAs, votes are really only polls so there is plenty
of time to analyze them. Deliberative process requires, though, rapid
votes. I do deliberative process through mailing lists and it takes a
long time to go through the full democratic safeguards of Roberts
Rules on a mailing list. You have to allow time for people to read
the mail and respond, and some people are away for days at a time. Or
more, but one has to draw the line somewhere. Delegable proxy could
make this go very quickly. (I'd not allow full voting, with the
concomitant delay time for discussion between proxies and those
represented, for process motions, only for final, binding conclusions.)

Voters are, quite simply, not as stupid as we often seem to think.
The present system *asks* them to make decisions on topics that they
do not understand. If they could choose someone whom they trust to
make those decisions for them, they would happily do so. Wouldn't
you? I would only not do so if I could not revoke the trust whenever
I lost confidence in my proxy, and, perhaps, if the decisions made by
my proxy on my behalf were irreversible. Some decisions by their
nature are irreversible, so I'd have to be content to trust my proxy
with these or I'd have to participate directly.

Should we have gone to war in Iraq? I certainly had an opinion. But
I'll have to grant that I *also* did not have access to a lot of
information that I should really have had in order to make the
decision on the best footing. I *wish* I had a trusted representative
with access to that information. I don't, really. I don't even have
anyone I personally know with that access, and I don't have a known
chain of trust connecting me with such a person. Sure, I might have
voted for, say, Kerry, but I don't really know him. I can be fooled,
particularly when I only have access to media images, carefully crafted.

On the other hand, when a war is declared, it drags in everyone. I
think that we should have the right to consent, or to withhold
consent. If we don't trust our leaders, those with access, then, I'd
suggest, we are not ready to go to war, simply on that basis, too
much damage will be done. Allowing us to vote directly will not muck
up the system, rather it will make it work better. If it is DP. I
would *not* want to see a referendum, which then *invites* people
with insufficient information and/or depth of understanding -- which
takes time, usually -- to participate.

>FEW have time or ability to visit the senate.

Well, more than one might think. But so? I'm talking about a
preserved right that backs up the system, not something that would be
routinely exercised individually. But there might be a whole class of
subqualified proxies, people representing relatively small groups,
who might so vote. They might live in D.C.

Look, this is the idea: government with the full participation of the
public, excepting only what must be limited due to problems of scale,
i.e., any action which consumes bandwidth, that creates more traffic
than the center and those around the center can efficiently handle.

Corporations may have hundreds of thousands of shareholders, who have
the right to appear at the annual meeting and vote. Few do. But you
can bet that large institutional shareholders will be there,
personally, or by proxy. There are companies which do nothing else
but represent such. Shareholders own corporations. Do we own the
government? If not, why not?

"Government of the people, by the people, and for the people." Mere
rhetoric? Or an inspiring vision, not yet fully realized? We could
get much closer than Lincoln ever imagined. He was, in fact, quite
willing to coerce people to remain in the Union, in spite of the
complete absence of such a power in the Constitution. (See the
writings of Lysander Spooner.)

*However,* please note that I have no opinion about how far we could
go under present conditions toward implementing anarchist or
libertarian ideas in government. I'm not, therefore, an anarchist or
a libertarian except as regards some kind of theoretical ideal. My
work, instead, is directed toward Free Associations, which *can* be
fully free in an anarchist or libertarian sense, there is no doubt
about it, and without harm even if the world is not ready for that
level of freedom in government.

If I am right, FA/DP organizations could, without any change in laws,
move the government using existing institutions, thus, effectively,
forming a metagovernment operating on anarchist, libertarian
principles. Which may not be called that, because of the possible
confusion with Anarchism and Libertarianism as parties with
platforms. *No* platform as an organization. I think few, if any
anarchists and libertarians have ever entered this territory before,
all anarchist/libertarian writings I have seen are rife with platform.