[EM] proxies and confidentiality

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Mar 1 06:31:47 PST 2006

At 01:36 AM 3/1/2006, Jobst Heitzig wrote:
>A question concerning proxy voting: Does anyone know of a mechanism for
>delegable proxy which assures that nobody knows what any other voted?

Sure, though it adds "cumber" :-) to the process. Just how cumbersome
depends on just how far one wants to take the secrecy.

Asset Voting, and my own Delegable Proxy election process on the
electorama wiki, involve secret ballot for the first level of
proxies. With a succession of secret ballots, one could theoretically
keep proxy assignment secret all the way to the top. But I think it's
a very, very bad idea.

First of all, there is a cost to secrecy, and I don't mean the cost
of keeping votes secret. That is actually very simple and easy. I
mean the cost in terms of the ability of a proxy to know who is being
represented. This cost exists even at the first level, in Asset
Voting, but it is less serious if there is only one level of secrecy.

If the second level is also secret (the second level is the
assignment of proxies by those who received votes in the first secret
ballot), then A, who gave his proxy to B, will have no way of knowing
if B acted responsibly in passing on the vote. Thus responsibility is
removed from the process, people having no way of knowing the
ultimate effect of their votes. If everything above the intial,
primary, direct proxies is secret, not only do the ultimate
representatives have no idea who their constituents are, but the
constituents don't know who their representative is, unless they
happen to have voted directly for a proxy who ends up in the assembly.

With open proxies, running for office would be a negative sign as to
the character of the proxy. I think that this is an aspect of
delegable proxy which is often overlooked, it is part of the reason
why I chose the domain name BeyondPolitics.org. Running for office is
no longer necessary. At all. Rather, you would generally name someone
you know and trust. Know personally. Standard proxy can be the same,
but only when the organization is small. With delegable proxy, the
proxy relationships are between peers or almost-peers.

Just as in the human nervous system, where one synapse only collects
into one nerve cell a limited number of connections. Too many
connections, and the traffic becomes unintelligible. Intelligence
depends on good filtering, and the main function of direct proxies is
to filter information, both to protect the member from having to
attend to organization business instead of work, family, etc., and to
protect the center from raw, unfiltered traffic. In present
organizations, traffic for high-level representatives is filtered by
a top-down structure, selected usually by the representative,
typically as paid staff. In delegable proxy, the structure is
mutually created from the bottom (by the assignment of the proxy) and
from the top (by acceptance of the proxy.)

"Acceptance of the proxy" is meaningless in a secret ballot system.
Imagine that you are part of the human central nervous system. Raw
traffic from sensory nerves is anonymized so that the center has no
way of knowing where it comes from. Silly, isn't it?

Without openness in both directions, there cannot be the full and
complete feedback and deliberation which is essential in functioning
democracy (that is, the more of it the better, up to a limit which is
secured through the filtering process). Thus the intelligence of the
overall process becomes limited. I think *severely* limited compared
to what is possible. Not compared to what exists. Compared to what
exists, usually, standard proxy is a vast improvement, and it remains
a wonder to me why it is such a rare idea in the political arena.
Except that I know the history of political structure. We don't have
proxy representation in politics because it would have taken too much
power, too quickly, from the oligarchs. Present systems are generally
designed like the standard English keyboard: to slow things down.
That is, the electoral system was designed, at least in the U.S.
where it is very clear, to keep functional power in the hands of an elite few.

>  In
>particular, it seems to me that no person X must know whether or not
>s/he is a proxy for some other person Y, and Y must not have a
>possibility of proving to X that X is Y's proxy. Otherwise Y could force
>X to name him as proxy!

Yes. However, if we want open representation (which is a necessity
for full democracy), we are led, I think, inexorably to the Free
Association concept, where power remains *entirely* in the hands of
the members. The Association itself is just a communications mechanism.

The actual exercise of power may be through secret ballot, or it is a
distributed action, as where members send funds, openly or
anonymously, to a dedicated project. In some places such transfer of
funds must be open if substantial, but if the transfers are small,
they can be fully anonymous. Just pop a dollar or five into an
envelope, put a label on it, and mail it.

If the would-be coercer can force you to send money, then the coercer
already has significant power over you and could simply take your
money and spend it, delegable proxy adds nothing to his power.

*This* is why FAs don't collect funds more than is needed for
immediate purpose, such as paying for domain space or rent for
meetings. They don't own more property than is necessary for that,
which is very, very little, so little that nobody can control the
organization by controlling the purse strings. Alcoholics Anonymous
was set up in a way that meant that the central organization would
remain almost totally dependent upon the members for continued small
donations. Large donations are prohibited. Get this: AA will refuse
donations *and bequests* larger than a certain amount. It used to be
$1000. For an organization with millions of members. Even that, in my
view, is high. But AA maintains a central office, paid staff, etc.
Many FA/DP organizations will be operated entirely through volunteer
labor; when something needs to be done that requires paid work,
donations would be solicited for that specific purpose and would be
provided directly to that specific project by the members.

Members who trust their proxies would be able to delegate fund
transfer power from a special account to their proxies, so they
aren't nickled and dimed to death.

People might note that, if applied to government, this would set up a
Libertarian or Anarchist society, coercion-free. In my view, the
feasibility of that is questionable. Maybe someday. But we *can* do
it, immediately, with NGOs, Free Associations that do nothing more
than communicate and coordinate.

The proxy advises, she does not command. The AA slogan: "Our leaders
are but trusted servants, they do not govern." The proxy *may*
exercise direct power, but only as long as the member specifically allows it.

Understand this, and you will understand why the actual voting
mechanisms become almost irrelevant, they are simply ways to measure
the degree of consensus that exists on an issue. If substantial
consensus has not been obtained, the pressure is to seek it rather
than proceed to immediate action; however, any caucus remains free to
act whenever it considers it appropriate. But if the caucus is in the
minority, and the issue is considered important by the majority, the
caucus is simply going to waste its resources, it will be outspent
("spending" includes all kinds of donations, cash and labor and
materials). And the majority will surely understand that if *it*
proceeds prior to finding substantial consent, its activities are
going to be weakened. How weakened they will be depends on the
consensus gap. Beyond a certain point that gap will be small enough
that the majority (by now an almost unanimity) will decide that
deliberation has gone on long enough, and the advice will go back
down through the proxy tree.

(Yes, there will be a central publication with poll results. The
results of polls aren't controversial, they are just facts. Who
decides when the polls happen, and the content of the polls, and what
goes into the central publication? The majority. Standard
parliamentary procedure, though the assembly may decide to use
supermajority rules for more things than are standard.
Ultimately,protection exists in the fact that FA/DP organhizations
can very easily fragment, it is a feature, not a bug (because they
can just as easily merge, all it takes is for one member of caucus A
to give a proxy to a member of caucus B and the two caucuses are
effectively merged. There is no central control of the proxy
communications mechanism, there are on central mechanisms which make
it easy. If that mechanism is hijacked by a faction or by an enemy of
the process, it can be substantially reconstituted in no more than a
few days, at only a trivial cost. Less than $10 for a new domain
name, and a few dollars a month for domain space. The necessary
contact information is held by the proxies in addition to being
centrally registered. And this is how the *real* organization can
defend itself against proxy fraud. Essentially, it simply ignores it,
and it only takes one member to monitor the fraud just in case there
is something valuable there. FA/DP is, in theory, highly efficient.)

As readers of this list know, I can go on and on. Please, if you are
interested in Proxy Democracy, Delegable Proxy, and/or the Free
Association process, register at BeyondPolitics.org so that we can
begin to develop consensus positions and analysis of these things, to
support the formation of real organizations.

The Finnish organization which we have just learned about, how does
it govern itself? I'll note that this is a critical question. All too
often, democratic reform organizations are organized oligarchically.
In fact, I don't know of any major exceptions here. Distrust of
democracy is endemic, it is considered, among other things, highly
inefficient. That can be fixed; DP will do it.

If the Finnish organization is itself a proxy democracy, then it
could become FA and/or DP overnight. There is no need to wait for the
public governmental structure to change. If you can grow the
organization itself, so that participation becomes broader and
broader, changes to the public structure may take place must faster
than you would expect. Because you will have the coordinated power to
do it, you will have developed consensus proposals *before* trying to
get them passed into law. The actual changes, once you are ready, will be easy.

And, I suspect, those changes will consider the needs of those who
currently are the oligarchs. The oligarchs actually don't want to
control (most of them); rather their goals are private and they only
want to control in order to secure their private goals, such as
wealth and the power to command organized effort (for which they can
pay if they have the wealth, it call comes with wealth). The FA/DP
organization will *include* them, it will not oppose them. They will
only experience opposition if they try to stop others from organizing
and acting freely. And in this case they would clearly deserve what
they would get, which with an FA/DP revolution, would be that they
would waste their resources trying to stop it. FA/DP organizations
don't punish, period. They simply withdraw support from someone or
some organization which they no longer trust.

Special interest wealth depends upon continued support from at least
a large segment of the public. Corporations depend on customers as
well as employees. The wealthy depend on the willingness of enough
people to sell themselves. Once people have a choice, do we think
that they will choose to be slaves contrary to their own interest?

Some of them will rationally choose to be slaves, but only because
they trust the masters whom they voluntarily choose. As there were in
times of slavery, there will be good masters, "benevolent dictators,"
or people who might simply be called "honorable leaders."

>  Is this possible without the use of advanced
>technology like, say, public key cryptography?

Yes. It's called secret ballot, and it is standard process. If you
want it to be electronic on an unsecured network, then you need good
cryptography or the like. But just to do it you only need a ballot
and a ballot box and a voting booth with curtains.