[EM] Mixed member proxy list

raphfrk at netscape.net raphfrk at netscape.net
Fri Jun 30 04:33:18 PDT 2006

  From:  Anthony O'Neal <thasupasacfitinman at gmail.com>
> So, why not divide the country into a set of SMD's, and fill half of
the seats
> in the legislature through these. Then use the voters desired proxy
(which
> may be the candidate they voted for, or another candidate, or a
non-candidate)
> to fill in the rest of the seats. A voter who voted for the winning
candidate
> in an SMD contest has his vote consumed and that doesn't count
towards a
> declared proxies list.

I think that it should be fractional loss.  If a candidate gets 90% of
the
district, then each of his supporters should have their vote decreased
to 4/9 of their original strength.  OTOH, The vote for a candidate who
gets 50% + 1 vote should be completely consumed (or almost so).

There is also a slight issue with the fact that some district will have
a lower turnout.  Your vote is valued differently based on the
difference
between the national and district turnout.

If your district has a turnout of 40%, but the national turnout was
60%, then a local vote is worth 1.5 times what a national vote is worth.
To balance the 2, there would need to be a re-scaling step before
hand-off
to the national count.  National votes from each constituency would
count
for (local turnout)/(national turnout) votes.

This also reduces the incentive for each district to "add" more votes
so that
it can increase its voting strength.

> The main difference between this and the normal
> Mixed Member system is that there are many more options and two
proxies may
> have the same candidate on both of their lists, so it encourages
coalition
> building.

So how would you you work the ballot.  I would work it as something
like:

Each local candidate submits their list before the election.  This would
probably be the party's list with some modifications by the candidate
(he
may move some more local candidates higher on his list).  The list would
include all/most candidates in the national election.  The candidate
would
have exclusive authority to decide his own list.

Each voter then submits a ranked ballot.  They also put an X beside the
candidate who submitted their favorite list.  This ballot is
interpreted to
mean "I want my vote to support the local candidates as I ranked them
and then
to support the candidates in order of the list with the X".

I would then use IRV to allocate the seats in each district.  The quota
would
be set to 50%.  Once a ballot is exhausted (locally), it is passed to a
list.

This means that some lists would be gaining votes even before a
candidate
is elected.

For example, lets say there was 3 factions and 5 candidates:

Faction 1:
40%:  A>B>(A list)
20%:  B>A>(A list)

Faction 2:
20%:  C>D>E>(C list)
15%:  D>C>E>(D list)

Faction 3:
5%:  F>(F list)

The count would then proceed as follows:

Count 1: