[EM] possible improved IRV method

eric at ericgorr.net eric at ericgorr.net
Wed Jun 28 15:12:51 PDT 2006

Quoting Jonathan Lundell <jlundell at pobox.com>:

> IRV's problem with ignoring later preferences and not always finding
> a Condorcet winner is a direct consequence of the way it avoids
> Condorcet's problem with encouraging insincere voting.

On what basis do you claim that a good Condorcet Method would
encourage insincere voting?

I have yet to see any convincing arguments that it does. Most of the
attempts tend to center around a single group of voters attempting to
manipulate the election to their advantage. The fundamental flaws with
these particular arguments is that they assume that (a) no other
groups will attempt counter-strategies, (b) that a single group of
voters will even be capable of obtaining an accurate enough picture to
figure out how to change their votes - accuracy they would need
appears to be far greater then one is able to obtain with a scientific
survey of voter opinion and (c) the fact that if multiple groups of
voters are involved in insincere voting when a Condorcet Method is
used that the ultimate resolution becomes quite chaotic and the worst
possible winner may be selected. It is the potential for selected the
least favorite choice that causes me to believe that a good Condorcet
Method actually encourages sincere voting.