[EM] possible improved IRV method

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Tue Jun 27 10:22:23 PDT 2006

Thanks for trying, but why bother?
      IRV is dedicated to looking at what the voters rank at tops,
ignoring whatever else they say - and sometimes producing very bizarre
results.
      Condorcet looks at all that voters say, and summarizes the votes as
a tournament that is simple to understand..  While hand counting gets
difficult, computer counting is easy, and simple enough for correct
programs for this task to be easily verifiable, even if we are not up to
verifying more complex programs.
      This third method claims to "pass the Condorcet criteria".  To get
there it about has to look at all that Condorcet looks at, rather than
doing the partial look that IRV does.

When I look at such, one of my first thoughts is problems of understanding
how multiple precinct results get combined for such as governor, and what
is practical at the lowest level for people to understand:
      For IRV, and this method, individual voters' vote patterns have to
be passed up, combinable only as to how many vote each pattern - not too
easy for people to summarize - especially when many candidates result in
many patterns.
      For Condorcet an array of counts can be reported at each precinct,
summarized for counties, etc, and reported for total district.  A
manageable array to understand - and even more understandable if an array
of candidates with most votes is reported as a summary.

Strategic voting seems to me to get called worse names than it deserves:
      Some makes sense, to select among and vote for the best combination
of acceptability and electability.
      Some is less deserving - to, somehow KNOW how others will vote, and
have your clan defeat their will with exotic voting.  How do you KNOW
this, and pass the word to your clan, without other clans learning and
changing their votes to respond to yours?

DWK