[EM] Yet Another Lottery Method

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Sun Jun 25 08:24:50 PDT 2006

Dear Forest!

Very nice idea indeed. It goes somewhat in the same direction I am also thinking recently. I will think about it during the next days.

What I'm studying at the moment is how Random Ballot can be modified so that cooperation is encouraged.

For example: Use approval ballots, find out which X is approved most often, mark X on all ballots that approve her, put these ballots aside, then find out which Y is approved most often on the remaining ballots, mark Y on these ballots and put them aside, proceed likewise with the remaining ballots until all ballots are put aside, then draw one ballot at random and elect the marked candidate.

In addition to such a cooperation-encouraging version of Random Ballot, one should use some mechanism to protect from dangerous candidates, such as your approval-defeats, or just by allowing voters to indicate "dangerousness" of candidates and excluding all candidates who got more than, say, 75% such dangerousness-marks.

What do you think about this?

Yours, Jobst