[EM] IRV vs Condorcet - a challenge

Rob Lanphier robla at robla.net
Mon Jun 19 21:30:29 PDT 2006

Hi Dave,

I think you're right that examples like the version you constructed need
to be pointed out.  A similar breakdown occurs in the "Tennessee
example" on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_different_voting_systems_under_similar_circumstances

In both examples, the second-to-last candidate keeps picking up just
enough votes by elimination to stay in the race, knocking out the
Condorcet winner along the way.  This would happen even though the
Condorcet winner would often trounce the second-to-last candidate
pairwise.  It might be helpful to come up with an illustrative name for
that phenomenon, so that we can call it when we see it.  Suggestions:
*  "snowballing loser problem"
*  "snowballing extremist problem"
*  "snowballing outlier problem".
*  "ladder climbing loser problem"
*  "ladder climbing extremist problem"
*  "ladder climbing outlier problem".

I have more thoughts on this in a separate email.

Rob