[EM] voting reform effort in DENVER - PLEASE HELP

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sun Jun 11 10:36:14 PDT 2006

Once again, this message is sent to a series of lists, including the
Approval Voting list, where I'm banned. I've deleted that from the
series, Mr. Kok can forward it if he thinks it relevant.

At 12:09 PM 6/11/2006, Chris Benham wrote:
>Elections should be decided directly by the votes of voters, and as far
>as practicably possible all voters
>should have equal/power weight  in this process.  So I reject Asset
>Voting.

All voters have equal/power weight under Asset Voting. Indeed, I
could easily argue that nearly other method fails this to some
degree. This is because of wasted votes, votes which did not choose a
winner. Asset allows these votes to be recast deliberately and in
consideration of the electoral context, by someone much more likely
to be familiar with the consequences, and able to use the voter's
power in negotiations, so much less voter power is wasted, if any.

>  Candidates should not be
>"super-voters".

What if voters want to assign this power to candidates?
Fundamentally, the position expressed here is that voters are not to
be allowed this freedom.

Were it not prohibited, it would be a common-law right. It is quite
clear that the prohibition of voluntary amalgamation of votes by
voters is the major restraint preventing true democracy from existing
outside of small groups.

Mr. Benham has not stated why vote delegation should not be
permitted. Note that, ultimately, power *is* delegated, with any
election method. To the winner or winners of the election. So why not
during the election process itself?

If voters are to have equal power, literally, with no exceptions,
then the only system that meets this requirement is Direct Democracy.
As soon as you have representative democracy, you have effectively
concentrated voting power into elected representatives. This is
disguised when the system elects a peer assembly, since it seems that
in that assembly all members have equal voting power. But this is
only just when members have equal constituencies. If members have
unequal constituencies, it would be more just if they had unequal voting power.

And if we are going to be concerned about the inequity of unequal
constituencies, we should be concerned about the even more
inequitable situation of comparing one representative, elected by
unanimity, with another, elected by a mere majority or even a mere
plurality. It is this inequity which allows under some conditions a
minority party to control the assembly. It is this inequity which so
famously can result in a President elected while getting a minority
of the popular vote.

All this would disappear with proxy voting; Asset Voting is really
proxy voting designed to create a peer assembly, when used multiwinner.

The alternatives that I've seen, the ones that Mr. Benham apparently
supports, result in wasted votes and effectively disenfranchised voters.

>Approval Voting doesn't  meet Majority for Solid Coalitions and is
>vulnerable to disinformation.

As if any election method is not vulnerable to disinformation! Asset
Voting, in fact, is the least vulnerable, since votes end up being
ultimately distributed according to the decisions of trusted
candidates who have better access to information than the general
voter. With Asset Voting, a voter need make no strategic decisions;
it is enough to find a single candidate that one trusts; but Asset
also allows voters to distribute the trust among a set of candidates.