[EM] Three Stage Approval Election

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Thu Jun 8 06:51:18 PDT 2006

At 01:57 AM 6/8/2006, Dave Ketchum wrote:
>On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 12:32:55 -0400 Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
>[...]
>
>Your words show there are TWO views of complexity:
>      Ranked choice (IRV and Condorcet) have ballots that are messy
> to count by hand - but we can program computers to do the work and
> not get annoyed at the repetitiveness.

The level of difficulty varies with the number of allowed ranks.
Plurality and Approval have the minimum number (two).

>      As to complexity that the voter sees, Condorcet makes it easy:
>           Plurality desires can be voted easily - just vote for one.
>           Approval desires are also doable, provided the rules
> permit - just vote for all approved at the  same level.
>           Even taking full advantage of Condorcet is simple - order
> as many as seem worth it in desire order and vote accordingly.
>      Coming back to being offered Approval by itself, the voter can
> only accept vs reject - a difficult decision when the voter WANTS
> to show first vs second choices.

This objection is only in the comparison between Approval and a
method with more ranks. Many such methods do allow equal ranking, the
question is why Plurality is the method being used rather than
Approval. Approval wins, hands down, in comparison with Plurality. It
does not necessarily win in comparison with methods allowing more
ranks. (But I did present one argument why it should. It more or less
forces the voter to make a judgement on a very important issue: how
important is the choice between two candidates? Is there a compromise
which would be generally acceptable? Ranked methods force a choice,
but sometimes will not choose the Range winner, and Range is, in my
view, the optimum voting method, given a sincere electorate.)

>Agreed Condorcet asks only whether A is greater than B, but supports
>no attempt at saying how much - BTW how does a voter express how
>much AND BE UNDERSTOOD in a method that permits such.

Range does it, quite handily, and how well it does it depends on the
resolution of the ballot. Approval is the lowest resolution Range
ballot, in which case the expression is binary: these two candidates
are equally acceptable *considering a goal of having a united
constituency* or they are not. Obviously more resultion equals more expression.

>Back to Approval - it does provide ONE gap between acceptable and
>unacceptable - but NO WAY to have any other gap or to express how
>big a gap the voter sees between those accepted and those rejected.

Duh.

>The discussion below misses the point.  WE KNOW from recent horror
>stories that anything uncheckable from results, such as selecting a
>group of voters, should be avoided in designing methods (could take
>more seriously validating implementation of methods - but that seems
>far in the future).

I know of no example where a method carefully designed to be unbiased
-- and that can be done -- and which is thoroughly observable -- it
takes place in public -- has even been tested, much less proven to
lead to horror stories. Dave is quite welcome to relieve me of my ignorance.

(Public random selection, as an example. Each candidate submits a
ten-digit number of their choice. The candidates' numbers are summed
and MSD truncated if necessary and used to seed a pseudo-random
number generator, the output of which is compared with a complete
voter list to select the desired number of voters. It is thoroughly
verifiable. The above all takes place in public. Nobody knows the sum
in advance. Only a collusion of all candidates could allow advance
knowledge, and if the candidates are colluding, why not just let them
select the best of themselves? Anybody can run the pseudo-random
number generator on any computer (could have done it with my Vic-20)
and verify the output, compare it with the voter list, and come up
with the same selected voters. Something like this would work quite
well for Warren Smith's DDJ method. It is actually an excellent idea
(but with the much smaller juries that Smith anticipated, there are
other hazards. There aren't these hazards with a group of voters
which is still quite large, such as ten percent of the eligible.)

>Just restating:  Preparing for ONE election day means one campaign
>and one load on the media.  For multiple days this gets
>multiplied.  Even the mailing is tricky - takes extra work on
>addressing and smaller mailings sometimes mean extra cost per item.

Not when the difference is between ten million mailings and one
hundred million. And usually the method will terminate before the one
hundred million, so parties would actually get improved access at lower cost.

As to "load on the media," they would LOVE this particular load. It's
a horse race!