[EM] Question about a criterion for ballot counting

bql at bolson.org bql at bolson.org
Tue Jun 6 15:06:48 PDT 2006

This discussion sounds like what I encountered in Computer Science under
the topics of computability and computational complexity.

I think we can safely say that a good election method is an algorithm that
executes in bounded time. An election method should not be an exercise in
solving the Halting Problem.

Almost all election methods I've seen have compuational complexity linear
in proportion to the number of voters. The Gini Welfare function recently
discussed here is O(n^2) with the number of voters.

I wrote this up for worst-case asymptotic algorithmic complexity for
various election methods:
http://bolson.org/voting/bigo.html

It could be argued that to truly scale up, an election method must be
linear with votes. It could also be argued that any laptop computer is
good enough to run an election of a million votes, and a $10,000 computer
could run a billion votes.

Anyway, that's just what I thought of. Maybe it's still not the direction
you were trying to go.

Brian Olson
http://bolson.org/