[EM] Please read Range Voting article on YourHub

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sat Jul 29 15:18:27 PDT 2006

I tried to register there - no luck, so here are my thoughts:

We start with runoffs being seen as too expensive in various ways.

Thus Plurality voting is unacceptable, for it only sees voters' first
choices and, given three or more candidates, each could be first choice of
a third of the voters - need to let the voters say more.  The three
methods below promise needed capability without imposing excess complexity
on voters.

Councilwoman Kathleen MacKenzie proposes IRV, a ranked choice (RC) method.

Jan Kok proposes Range Voting (RV), claiming "it is fully compatible with
all existing voting machines".  I have to question this claim since RV,
like RC, requires that the voter attach a number to each voted for
candidate.  BUT, what does a difference of two in range mean?  Each voter
has to decide intent; counting will decide meaning - let us stay with RC
which provides needed meaning without excess complexity.

I propose Condorcet which, given the same ballots as IRV but scoring as if
reporting a tournament, sometimes does better at selecting a winner.

So I see need for new voting machines - at least need for new/validated
programming - since any above method will need this.  Then I read the
horror stories too many new voting machines have earned.  Seems to me that
machines that have earned horror stories after acceptance by a testing lab
demonstrate that such labs are unable/unwilling to notice and report
problems and/or some governments ignore reported problems.   BTW - what
computers can do successfully demonstrates that they have to be capable of
a task as simple as voting, PROVIDED that becomes the goal of those in the
doing.

Finally, a deadline approaches if a needed ballot measure is to be on the
ballot this November.  Perhaps the best that can be done is to propose
moving ahead based on what I write above, while detail decisions are given
needed time for more study (e.g., agreed to leave Plurality but studying
where to get to).

In all three methods the voter selects from the candidates, the one or
more worth positive rating:
      For RV each rating is a range number.
      For RC each rating is a rank number that shows only which is liked
more, but does not attempt to be understood as to how much better one is
liked than another.
      For both RV and Condorcet, ties are permitted.

For counting I ignore RV.  The two RC methods usually agree as to winner,
but I show a set of 100 ballots for which they differ:  30 A; 22 B; 23
C,B; 25 D,B:
      IRV simulates a runoff, discarding what it sees as least liked until
what remains indicates a winner, but does not look at more of any voter's
ranking - here 30 A beats 25 D.
      For each pair of candidates Condorcet will count how many voters
have rated each as beating the other - here 70 B beats 30 A.  Normally one
will win for beating every other, but such as M>N>O>M can happen with near
ties and the rules must define how to decide the winner for such.

DWK

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 02:47:30 -0600 Jan Kok wrote:

> I've posted an article
>
> MacKenzie's voting reform should use Range Voting
> http://denver.yourhub.com/Story.aspx?contentid=107610
>
> Please go read it, and if you don't mind registering on the site, you
> can rate the editorial, and post some comments. If the page gets
> enough attention, it might get published in a Denver newspaper, which
> might lead to RV being adopted, or at least seriously considered, for
> Denver municipal elections.
>
> Thanks,
> - Jan

                  If you want peace, work for justice.