[EM] Competitive Districting Rule

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Wed Jul 19 16:40:36 PDT 2006

On 7/20/2006 2:25 AM, James Gilmour wrote:
> I would say the same about compulsory voting.  Neither compulsory voting nor any requirement to mark all or some specified number of
> preferences has any place in a voting system for a truly democratic society.  You may impose compulsory voting, and compulsory
> marking of some minimum number of preferences, but it an illusion that you are collecting any additional valid information about the
> real wishes of the electors
Whilst I agree with you about compulsory voting to a certain extent
creating an illusion, the illusion created is of the "justice is seen to
be done" kind, in that the winner of an election can truly say that the
majority of voters support them. The other element is that at least some
portion of those who would otherwise not vote, do in fact register their
real wishes under compulsion.

Civic duties - taxes, conscription, elections. Seems reasonable to me.