[EM] Competitive Districting Rule. "above-the-line" voting

Anthony Duff anthony_duff at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jul 18 19:22:07 PDT 2006

--- James Gilmour <jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk> wrote:
> > Note that subdivision of parties and their alliances and
> > whatever other groupings add tools to the voter to express
> > what she wants. Also models where STV like ordering is not
> > used but the vote to James automatically goes to the smallest
> > group that James belongs to, then to the next bigger group
> > etc. may work better than current more rough "vote party
> > only" or "vote party member only" arrangements.
>
> This all sounds very like the "above-the-line" voting that is used in the
> Australian Federal Senate elections.  It has
> perverted STV-PR very severely, so that that implementation is really nothing
> more than closed list party PR.

It does sound “like the "above-the-line" voting that is used in the Australian
Federal Senate elections” and the NSW upper house elections, and other Australian
elections, where it certainly *seems* to work well, and it is utilised by the vast
majority.

I know that James Gilmour is philosophically opposed to this party list option
operating within STV.  He may be right, but I have seen no evidence.  Perhaps I
haven’t known where to look.

Is the statement “It has perverted STV-PR very severely” based on philosophy,
impression or evidence?  It is my impression that there is no perversion.
Independent candidates and micro-parties seem overrepresented in the ballot count.
 The absence of independent candidates and micro-parties in the results is not the
reality either, but even if it was, I would argue that it is more a result of the
small number of seats (six per STV district), than a result of systematic bias
towards parties.

How would someone measure the “perversion”?

Anthony