[EM] "wrong way elections"

Warren Smith wds at math.temple.edu
Sun Jul 16 13:18:36 PDT 2006

thanks Abd. The google cached article is not the most recent version
which e.g included an additional section and considerbly larger bibliography, unfortunately.
Also, Opabinia Regalis
intiialy gave a 1-line deletion request for my article and
gave no reasons whatever, however, after I later enquired how
the heck I was supposd to respond to such a complaint with no specifics,
he/she gave the list of reasons you so admire.

The list of 4 reasons were:

>    * The idea of a "wrong" winner of an election implies that one
> or more "right" winners exist, which is inherently biased. The idea
> that the "right" winner is defined as the one that "most of the
> populace would have preferred" is also biased, because some voting
> systems are explicitly designed to use other factors than plain majorities.
>    * The text is biased. Wrong-way elections are "pathologies" and
> "alter history, presumably usually for the worse"?
>    * The examples are poor. Other than the Gore-Bush election,
> which is adequately covered elsewhere, the only example is that of
> Allende. The article even admits that the sole source cited in this
> example uses its references inappropriately.
>    * The mathematical properties of voting systems are already
> covered in the articles
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_system>Voting system and
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_different_voting_systems_under_similar_circumstances

the replies to these are
1. nonsense
2. pathologies is a standard word
3. actualy there were over 20 examples, not just these 2, and I did not
"admit" this, I "pointed it out to correct Saari's error"
4. those other articles did not give any list of historical examples, my article did.

it went downhill from there.

wds