[EM] Competitive Districting Rule

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Thu Jul 13 03:13:54 PDT 2006

Juho Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2006 8:46 AM
> James Gilmour wrote:
> > Of course, you cannot have single-member districts and PR, ... ...
>
> I think there are methods that allow even this. It is
> possible for example to first count nation wide the votes of
> each party and decide the number of seats each party will get
> based on the number of votes they got.

This approach is fundamentally flawed because the nation-wide totals of party votes are distorted by local tactical
voting in the single-member district contests.  There are no clever algorithms available that could possibly "correct"
for this inherent defect.  And of course, the PR you could obtain by such a (flawed) voting system would only be PR of
registered political parties, with all that that implies.  Some of us want PR of the voters  -  we do not want to give
even more power to the parties.
James Gilmour