[EM] Competitive Districting Rule

David Cary dcarysysb at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 8 23:22:01 PDT 2006

--- raphfrk at netscape.net wrote:

> ...  He suggests using the distance to the centre
> of the district as the parameter to optimise.
>
> A computer algorithm is then run to try to minimise this parameter
> while keeping all the districts approx equal in size.
>
> I wonder if an additional constraint might be to try to balance the
> vote in each district so as to reduce the number of safe seats.

As mentioned by others, drawing districts is legitimately the result
trying to optimize multiple competing goals.  Sometimes we can point
to glaring examples and say they were clearly inappropriately chosen.
 But in general, either expressing or detecting what goals were
considered and what trade-offs were made between competing goals, can
be challenging, if not impossible.  For example, even with a single,
objective, relatively easily-measured goal like minimizing the
average distance to the center, how much can the voting results be
changed with only slightly less than optimal boundaries?

The validity of the concept of safe vs. competitive districts is
dependent on the strength/dominance of parties or other overall
influences.  In a political system where candidates are required to
campaign and later vote in accordance with party policy, the concept
would have more validity.  In a political system where candidates are
allowed or encouraged to tailor their positions and later their
voting to the voters in their districts, the concept would have less
validity.  Any district can be competitive if the candidates are
responsive to the specific mix of voters in that district.

--- Brian Olson <bql at bolson.org> wrote:

> Perhaps part of the problem with districts is that it needs to be
> made clear to representatives that it is their duty to represent
> _everyone_ in their district and not just the people who voted for
> them.

Just as soon as they're done representing themselves and the people
who paid for them, districts or not.  On the other hand, it would
simplify things if everyone got represented, regardless of who won.
;)

-- David Cary