[EM] Competitive Districting Rule

Brian Olson bql at bolson.org
Sat Jul 8 10:57:16 PDT 2006

On Jul 8, 2006, at 9:26 AM, James Gilmour wrote:

>> Brian Olson Sent: Saturday, July 08, 2006 8:53 AM
>> I still think I want a bicameral legislature with one
>> districted body and one PR/proxy/asset body.
>
> If you want a bicameral legislature, why would you want one chamber
> elected so that it is unrepresentative of those who
> voted for its members?  You can have both districts and PR for the
> same chamber.  Of course, you cannot have
> single-member districts and PR, but STV-PR offers a good compromise
> of effective local representation (in modestly sized
> multi-member districts) and overall PR.

Single member districts still have some benefits. They're well
understood. The practice of having a local representative who
interacts with constituents is well established. And I think that
some issues really do still have a local or regional basis which
makes sense to take account of by geographic representation. They're
easy.

To have meaningful PR we need at least 5 seats per election? To do
this we can either merge districts in sets of 5 or grow the size of
the legislative body (by up to 5 times its current size). Some
legislatures and many districts are already too large. But I guess
both of those don't often happen in the same place so maybe by
choosing one or the other growth it could be made to work acceptably.

By splitting the representation methods, having a fully at-large
undistricted PR body and an anti-gerrymandered local representation
districted body, I think both representation styles are covered and
there isn't a need to hybridize them.

Perhaps part of the problem with districts is that it needs to be
made clear to representatives that it is their duty to represent
_everyone_ in their district and not just the people who voted for them.

Brian Olson
http://bolson.org/