[EM] Competitive Districting Rule

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Fri Jul 7 21:21:10 PDT 2006

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 19:53:45 -0400 raphfrk at netscape.net wrote:

> From: Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com>
>
>> Agreed that redistricting should be based only on the decennial
>
> census - what was done in Texas needs forbidding.
>
> Btw, what is your opinion on having districts setup so that a minority
> group can get a reasonable number of seats ?

If you are asking about larger districts, with multiple legislators
elected from each - I am all enthused:
      If it happened that a minority was 20%, they would normally be able
to elect about 1 in 5.
      This thread still applies to district boundaries.
      Those setting up districts still know nothing of registration or
voting.

>> Likewise what they were doing about safe seats. Still, any formula
>
> based on parties is dangerous, for there is
>
>> too much temptation to make it favor the formula writers.
>

> I agree, the rules generally shouldn't refer to parties.  However, I
> couldn't see how you
> would figure out what the expected vote would be in each district as the
> computer
> balances them.

I CANNOT trust the programmers who tell the computer how to "balance".
      I can accept larger districts as above, letting the significant
minorities elect legislators per their strength.

I argue, sometimes, for proxies instead of electing:  Whole state, or
whatever, allows voters to give a proxy power to represent them.
Likewise, proxies can be multiple level.  Proxy holders sit in the
legislature with power according to proxies held.  According to power:
      Too weak and no power.
      A bit stronger and can vote in legislature.
      Those with most proxies (gets enough warm bodies to make legislate
workable) get this power.
      But, a limit on voting power - don't want some super holder becoming
dictator.

>> What happens if Frisco is heavily Dem and LA is heavily Rep?
>

> In both places, alot of the districts would be balanced 50/50 and also
> the party with the most support
> would have a few districts where it has higher support.  For example, if
> there was 10 seats, 5 might be "safe"
> and the other 5 would be optimised to be reasonably close to 50/50.

Who does the deciding as to which are to be safe?

>> So I favor neutrality, based on the formulas not being allowed to
>
> KNOW anything about registration or voting.
>
>> BUT, I would expand "contiguous" - some initial thoughts:
>> Hudson River: Lower Hudson is not crossable, so should be considered
>
> a solid wall
>
>> when measuring distances. It is crossable at bridges, so consider
>
> them an expense to cross.
>
>> Other boundaries such as lakes, railroads, and expressways - consider
>
> crossability.
>
>> Manhattan - count most of the bridges and tunnels a solid wall.
>> Staten Island - water around it is mostly a solid wall except, if it
>
> is worth 2.5 districts, count
>
>> the bridge to Brooklyn as connecting two half districts.
>> County boundaries:
>> Need a bit of porosity, for some counties cannot hold whole
>
> districts.
>
>> Need some resistance, to discourage excessive crossing.
>> Other boundaries such as towns and cities - still trying to favor
>
> keeping communities
>
>> together - and having districts share boundaries.
>

> What about
>
> - the centre is the point inside the district that minimises the total
> distance from residents to the centre
> - distances are calculated as travelled by road
> - 1 mile (or some distance) is added to the distance for every boundary
> passed through (county/city)
>
> This would mean that the all else being equal, the district boundaries
> would not cross
> county boundaries.

Thanks for hearing my point - would need more thought to complete.

> I would still like a way to make it so that all districts are reasonably
> competitive.
>
> What about the following:
>
> Voters are also asked who they would have voted for if they were to vote
> in the nearest
> neighbouring district.  This would mean that information would be
> available on what would
> happen if a specific polling booth was to be swapped from one district
> to that neighbour.
>
> This could allow the districts to be updated after each election,
> keeping them as close to
> un-safe as possible.

Aside from the complexity, another complaint.  Even though I would LIKE a
legislator from my party, I ALSO LIKE having a legislator who understands
my area's needs, so let's think on continuity.

> This would make the government very dependant on "swing" since the
> previous election.

                  If you want peace, work for justice.